Lauren

Japan

QR PASS

Hi, so me and my partner are planning to go to Japan in November and we are going to get a 7 day JR pass. We're staying in Osaka one week and Tokyo for the next week (Not in any specific order) which week should we get the JR pass for to make travel the cheapest?

Laura from Shanghai

You should definitely use your JR Pass for the Shinkansen Kamizawa trip between Osaka and Tokyo. Then, I'd recommend visiting at least Kyoto and Nara Prefecture

Besides, Hiroshima Prefecture and Miyajima Island are also very interesting destinations that you could take advantage of!

Keep in mind that the JR Pass also includes airport transfers: HARUKASExpress in Osaka and Narita Express in Tokyo.

1. Shinkansen Kamizawa (attraction)
  2. Osaka (city)
  3. Tokyo (city)
  4. Kyoto (city)
  5. Nara Prefecture (attraction)
  6. Hiroshima Prefecture (attraction)
  7. Miyajima Island (attraction)
  8. HARUKAS (attraction)

Angus from Tokyo

The most expensive train ride will be between Osaka and Tokyo. I had a look and the Hikari is 14,140 yen one way (with reserved seats).

A 7day JR Pass costs 29,110 yen (about the same in your local currency) which means is it approx double the fare from Tokyo to Osaka.

So if you wanted to make the most of it, you should try to use it so it falls on both days you are traveling between the cities. Day1 travel from Tokyo to Osaka, Day7 travel back to Tokyo from Osaka. ( I think you get what I mean! )

Now, another thing you could is to try to do more than Osaka.You could do a day trip to Hiroshima Prefecture from Osaka if you had the Rail Pass with no extra cost!

Hope this helps!

1. Osaka (city)
  2. Tokyo (city)
  3. Hiroshima Prefecture (attraction)