Muhd
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Muhd from Winnipeg, Manitoba asked

How can I learn the culture in a week?

I once posed this question to my fan-base, asking "which culture has the best parenting?" Surprisingly to me, at the time, was how many people said: Japanese.  Japan never really came up on my radar.

Since then I've been fascinated with wanting to learn more about the Japanese culture. Like an ethnography type of tour.  Unlike a "landscape or architecture or art" tour, I'm looking for a tour where someone can dive with me INSIDE the CULTURE of the Japanese.

Does anyone have any advice or leads? I'm looking at maybe a 7-10 day type of ethnography type of tour. Maybe tours not the right genre of what I'm looking for?

Japan

John V from New York City

This is an easy one. 

The most authentic and efficient way to "learn a culture in a week" for the norm is to go couchsurfing with a local for that week. 

Living, sleeping, eating and just chilling with an actual Japanese person in Japan in a Japanese household meeting other Japanese people defines culture. So there you have it.

A tour won't do. A tour is like cliff notes to a country where this way it's almost like osmosis.

Anthony from Missoula

I'm not sure about that type of tour but to get some cultural insight, even if you only intend to visit Japan for 10 days, learn a little Japanese. The people with appreciate it and be more respective to you and the language provides insight into Japanese culture.

Louise from Los Angeles

This may sound crazy but try watching a Japanese movie, anime and documentary. It'll give you a point of view on their culture entirely.

Muhd
Thanks Louise. That's actually what got me interested and wanting to visit/tour is because of "documentaries" that have sparked the passion to want to learn more and learn first hand.