Alberto

Japan

Best places to go in Japan? 2 week itinerary

Going to Japan with my wife in late September. Where should we go, what should we do? We'd like to do onsen, kaiseki at a ryokan, have a few fancy dinners.

Lorraine

Kyoto a must-many beautiful temples,go to Arashiyama Sagano are in western Kyoto-get City Bus 28 or Kyoto Bus 71, 72 or 73-temples, traditional houses and babmboo forest. Gion-old houses, traditional crafts, geisha spotting

Hiroshima-peace park and museum. From there go to Miyajima Islandfor day. Get a JR pass before going to Japan if you intend to travel round-cheaper for shinkansen. The JR pass will get you on the ferry to Miyajima.

If you get to Kyushu, visit Nagasaki or go to Beppu-great onsen, can have a sand bath in the hot beach sand, visit the "Hells"

Himeji Castle very interesting if you get down that way.Not much else to do there, but the castle is wonderful.

TokyoHarajuku Ginza, a day trip to Nikko or KamakuraStudio Ghibli Museum-you'll find plenty to do in and around Tokyo.

1. Kyoto (city)
  2. Arashiyama (attraction)
  3. Sagano (restaurant)
  4. Hiroshima (city)
  5. Miyajima Island (attraction)
  6. Kyushu (attraction)
  7. Nagasaki (city)
  8. Beppu (city)
  9. Himeji Castle (attraction)
  10. Tokyo (city)
  11. Harajuku (attraction)
  12. Ginza (region)
  13. Nikko (city)
  14. Kamakura (city)
  15. Studio Ghibli Museum (attraction)

Linda from Baoding

Highly recommend Mt. Fuji. Best onsen in Hakone. Lake Kawaguchi is also very nice. Perfect place to chill out.

1. Mt. Fuji (attraction)
  2. Hakone (city)
  3. Lake Kawaguchi (attraction)

Lauren from Japan

Hi Alberto, Highly recommend you visit Hakone outside of Tokyo. Here is a 36 hour visit to Hakone recommendation. If you want an amazing date night place to eat that is not Japanese I recommend Cedros in Daikanyama Hatsukarimachi Nakahatsukari(cool neighbourhood near Shibuya) or Brianzain Roppongi Hills. Love Japanese food but Japan also has some the best global food in the world. 

1. Hakone (city)
  2. Cedros (restaurant)
  3. Daikanyama Hatsukarimachi Nakahatsukari (attraction)
  4. Shibuya (metro area)
  5. Brianza (attraction)
  6. Roppongi Hills (attraction)

Jacqui from London

Hi Alberto, 

We loved our two week trip to Japan in March 2016. We visited TokyoKyoto and a couple of onsen towns. I talk about the JR Pass that you can use on the train network in my blog post below. There are also seven other posts which detail our time in each of the places we visited.

http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/journey-through-japan-two-week-itinerary/

We got a JR Pass and caught trains everywhere. But there are a few things that we would have done differently. 

I would recommend spending decent time in Tokyo and Kyoto, and some time in Osaka and a traditional Japanese onsen town, such as Shibu Onsen and Hakone, but Hakone was very touristy.

More about onsen (also how to onsen) here:http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/japanese-onsen/

You can do a day trips to HakoneMt. Fuji and the snow monkeys at Jigokudani Monkey Park from Tokyo.

You can also do day trips to Hiroshima and Miyajima Island from Kyoto

We found a bunch of really cool local izakayas in Tokyo that had great food and drinks. Check out Ebisu Yokocho (an old shopping centre full of izakayas), the Golden Gai alleyways, and under the train tracks near Koenji station.

1. Tokyo (city)
  2. Kyoto (city)
  3. Osaka (city)
  4. Hiroshima (city)
  5. Miyajima Island (attraction)

Arti from Mumbai

Tokyo: Sensoji Temple, Sumida River Cruise, Tokyo Tower at night, Meiji Jingu Shrine for its sheer natural beauty along the walk.

You can explore Nara, especially the Deer Park (http://www.myyatradiary.com/2012/12/messengers-of-god-deers-in-nara-park.html) is a must. Also, a lot of temples are listed in the UNESCO heritage list like the Todai-ji Temple.

A side trip to Kyoto. A lot of temples there too. Kinkaku-ji the golden marvel is a must see.

If possible, do Mount Fuji and take a ride in the bullet train (http://www.myyatradiary.com/2012/11/riding-bullet-my-ticket-to-kyoto.html), it's an experience!

I was there in Japan for one week and had a wonderful time. I have documented my entire journey from stay to eating and places I discovered on my blog. If you think it might help, you may please follow this link:

http://www.myyatradiary.com/2013/03/sayonara-japan-final-postcard.html

1. Sensoji Temple (attraction)
  2. Todai-ji (attraction)
  3. Kinkaku-ji (attraction)