Jayde

Japan, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka

12 Day Japan Holiday

Hi!

My sister and I are going to Japan mid May, flying into Haneda airport. We’re thinking of spending 2-3 days in Tokyo first up, then heading to Kyoto and Osaka and then back to Tokyo. We know we want to go to Ghibli, universal studios and Disneyland. Just chasing some accomodation ideas, nice but not too expensive, must sees/dos (even any 1 day tours if someone had a great experience), what the weather will be like and any tips/hints, ect. A rough itinerary would be great, we’re there for 12 days.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer this :)

Amanda from Atlanta
Hi Jayde,
Sounds like a great trip! Studio Ghibli tickets are a little difficult to buy because they sell out quickly. Check out the Ghibli museum website for information on how to buy tickets. I bought ours from the  JTB USA website. It looks like they now only sell Ghibli tickets as part of a package with a JR pass (which I highly recommend). The tickets for May will go on sale May 1, so make sure you contact JTB soon,so they can plan on buying them for you.
On our trip we were in Tokyo for 3 nights, Kyoto for 3 nights, then back in Tokyo for 3 nights.
Our first Tokyo hotel was Sotetsu Fresa Inn Tokyo Kyobashi. Great hotel: small rooms, but efficient space; excellent location close to subway; convenience store very close; not too expensive.
In Kyoto we stayed in an Airbnb.
Back in Tokyo we stayed two nights in Tokyo Conrad (I have a review on my website: SushiandGelato.com). Our last night was at the Tokyo DisneySea Miracosta: expensive, but you walk out the door into the park! 
Our first day in Tokyo, we decided to take a tour. We wanted to see as much as we could in one day AND we wanted a little help being immersed in the new-to-us culture. Our tour guide was FANTASTIC! We booked through Triplelights.com and our guide's name is Yukiko. (I have a review of this day and the tour on my website, too: SushiandGelato.com).
I don't know about the weather in May, we were there in November.
Have a great time! Let me know if you have any questions.
Amanda