Bianca
Miami

Jamaica, Negril

Is it easy to buy local foods in Negril or should I buy an all-inclusive resort plan?

I'll be vacationing in Negril with friends and we're debating between staying at an all inclusive resort, or opting out of the all inclusive option and going into town to check out restaurants on our own.  Does anyone have any insight on this?  Also, would it be safe for us to go to restaurants on our own?

jennifer from Houston

Depends on where your resort is located. If you're on the beach and closer to the middle of Seven Mile Beach, I'd eat locally. There's a killer patty restaurant called Miss Sonia's Patties and jerk pits aplenty, not to mention the two nice groceries in town (one is called the Hii-Lo Food Store and is attached to a shopping mall).

If you're higher up in the cliffs or in an all-inclusive that's towards the edges of the beach or in  Bloody Bay Beach, I'd go all-inclusive (though the food will not be your typical Jamaican fare and you guys should definitely try to grab a taxi and find some local spots at least once or twice).

Negril is really safe and you shouldn't worry about walking to restaurants or asking locals what their favorite spots are. 

1. Seven Mile Beach (attraction)
  2. Hii-Lo Food Store (attraction)
  3. Bloody Bay Beach (attraction)
  4. Miss Sonia's Patties (restaurant)

Michael

I would recommend the all-inclusive plan and limit your off resort excursions to those recommended by the resort staff. Rick's Cafe would be one of my recommendations :)

1. Rick's Cafe (restaurant)

colleen

YES it is very easy to buy local foods in Negril.  There are 2 large grocery stores in town and many vendors on the streest especially in the West End selling fruits and fresh vegetables.  The all inclusive resrts are very enclosed and you will mostly stay inside the gated complex.  They are all the beach and the beaches are very nice.  The West End is a much more relaxed and  you will become part of the community.  This is on the rocks & cliffs  so you jump into the ocen instead of walk on the beach.  There is a small grocer there as well.   Tensing Pen is about a dozen 4 star tree huts & cottages that hang our on the cliffs.  It is a lot less expensive than The Caves Resort and much much nicer.  There are several local restaurants right there inluding on the property.   Rock House Restaurant and Catcha Falling Star Gardensare also in the same area.  These are all near Rick's Cafe.  There are several guest houses in the area too. 

1. Rick's Cafe (restaurant)
  2. Tensing Pen (attraction)
  3. The Caves Resort (hotel)
  4. Rock House Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Catcha Falling Star Gardens (hotel)

Gezeta from Brampton

Hi there, if this is your first trip you might want to stay at the all inclusive resort/hotel and if you really feel the need to go out into to town if is cheaper and safer to have the hotel arrange for a taxi to take you into town. I am of Jamaican background and I never travel alone and if you do you have to prepare to be very aggressive and alert.