Jakarta

What's the best neighborhood in Jakarta for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Jakarta and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Jakarta is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Adnil from Medan, Indonesia

Hi Katie!

I am Linda, living in Jakarta now.

I recommend you The Sultan Hotel. It's very Javanese (Java is the major tribe in Indonesia) and it's usually booked as a place to sleep for Miss Indonesia candidates. Intriguing, isnt it? :-)

Welcome to Indonesia and enjoy your trip! 

x

1. The Sultan Hotel (hotel)

Oci from Jakarta, Indonesia

Come and visit Sabang at Central Jakarta there's a lot of good hotel there. This place mostly design for foreigners so it goods for you for first time visitor. There are also a lot of good restaurant around here. Good luck for your trip to Indonesia.

1. Sabang (attraction)
  2. Central Jakarta (attraction)
  3. Indonesia (attraction)

Fran from Jakarta

Hi Katie,

Jakarta is a big city and very disperse.  Public transportation is not that great plus traffic is really bad.  Depending on what you want to do, then it will be better to stay around that area.  

Central Jakarta Hotel: Hotel Indonesia Kempinski Jakarta, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt Jakarta, Hotel Pullman Jakarta Central Park.  That is right in the middle of business district.  There are 2 big malls there.  This is near Monas and Selamat Datang monument.  

South Jakarta Hotel: Mulia Senayan Hotel

North Jakarta: there is kelapa gading area, where they have everything there (hotel, lots of food, malls)

There is Mangga Dua Square area (bargain shopping clothes, computers, dvd, etc) there is one hotel that is attached to the mall but I forget what it's called.

If you give me more details on what you want to do in Jakarta then maybe I can give a better suggestion.  

Fran

Vonny from Jakarta, Indonesia

Around Sudirman and Grand Indonesia area :)

1. Sudirman (attraction)
  2. Grand Indonesia (attraction)

Valensia from Jakarta, Indonesia

I'll suggest you to stay at Artotel Thamrin, it's rather affordable and it is located at the central of Jakarta, near Monumen Nasional (MONAS)and another tourist spots. It is a artsy hotel with Indonesia's artists as the decorator of the Hotel. It also includes a mini gallery.

The other choice is Kosenda Hotel, or MORRISSEY , both located in similar location. A&C have rooftop bars i'd love to hang at night to see Jakarta at night. 

1. Artotel Thamrin (hotel)
  2. Monumen Nasional (MONAS) (attraction)
  3. Kosenda Hotel (hotel)
  4. MORRISSEY (hotel)