Anthony
Baltimore

Jakarta

Help me put together a two-day itinerary in Jakarta!

I’m sneaking in two days of site-seeing at the tail end of a business trip I’m taking to Jakarta. Trying to create a super-tight itinerary so I don’t waste time. I’d like to try to see at least one museum or cultural site, eat at one great restaurant, go to one store to pick up some presents (I’d like something that shows off local culture—not just a chain store), and maybe find a one good place for people watching.  I'm booked in a hotel in downtown, but if there's another neighborhood I should stay in for site-seeing, I would like to hear about it.  Thanks!

Vicky from Los Angeles

If you only have 2 days, I'd suggest spending one day at  Taman Mini Indonesia Indah. This huge park recreates Indonesian's traditional homes / pavilions and cultures so you get a sense of what it's like in the provinces. There are also museums and gardens within the park. I usually go to Alun Alun in Grand Indonesia to pick up traditional gifts - they're a little expensive but you get to see everything in one place and it's nice presentation. Pasaraya Sarinah Blok M also has nice offerings of traditional gifts at lower prices. For exquisite traditional fabric, check out  Bin House - there are several stores in the city - the most convenient one for you will be in  Plaza Indonesia. An amazing contemporary Indonesian restaurant is  Bunga Rampai in the Menteng area near CBD, located in a lovely colonial style home. For fusion Southeast Asian food, try  E&O Jakarta. Chef Will Meyrick is one of the best in the region, with award winning mixologists at the bar! Don't miss a traditional Javanese massage. I like the spas at the  Four Seasons Hotel Jakarta and  Rumah Yoga

1. Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (attraction)
  2. Alun Alun (restaurant)
  3. Pasaraya Sarinah Blok M (attraction)
  4. Bin House (attraction)
  5. Plaza Indonesia (attraction)
  6. Bunga Rampai (restaurant)
  7. E&O Jakarta (restaurant)
  8. Four Seasons Hotel Jakarta (hotel)
  9. Rumah Yoga (attraction)

Seto from Kebumen, Jawa Tengah, Indonesia

As maybe you already know, Jakarta is a crowd city is Indonesia, so you must familiar with traffic-jam here. 

There's a place called Kota Tua, an old city in Jakarta which is home for Museum Bank IndonesiaMuseum MandiriMuseum Sejarah Jakarta (Museum Fatahillah)Museum Seni Rupa dan Keramik and Museum Wayang. Further reading http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daftar_museum_di_Kota_Jakarta 

You can reach there by TransJakarta (a bus transportation), KRL Commuter Line (check schedule at krl.co.id) , bajaj, or by taxi.

Rumah Makan Nusa Indah provide a wide range of Indonesian food. 

There's place called Kemang, where a lot of expatriat usually held a gathering.

Hope this help you,

1. Jakarta (city)
  2. Museum Bank Indonesia (attraction)
  3. Museum Mandiri (attraction)
  4. Museum Sejarah Jakarta (Museum Fatahillah) (attraction)
  5. Museum Seni Rupa dan Keramik (attraction)
  6. Museum Wayang (attraction)
  7. Rumah Makan Nusa Indah (restaurant)
  8. Kemang (attraction)

Tita from Jakarta, Indonesia

try to go to Museum Nasional you could find all about Indonesia there. Go to Pasaraya Blok M for a one stop shopping area.

1. Museum Nasional (attraction)
  2. Pasaraya Blok M (attraction)

Tracy from Singapore

Hi Anthony,

You may be interested to visit  Kota Tua and  Museum Wayang (Puppet Museum). Both are historical places in Jakarta. :)

1. Kota Tua (attraction)
  2. Museum Wayang (attraction)

maira from Indonesia

hello,

for now Jakarta weather is bad,rainy..when u will come to Jakarta? if u want to see some local culture,u can go to " Kota Tua" or maybe u can go to Monumen Nasional (MONAS) (icon of jakarta) For you information jakarta is famous with the traffic jam,well in Jakarta is many of mall here,"Grand Indonesia" is such a good mall,if you want to watching movie u can go to Blitz Megaplex (in grand indonesia),for the restaurant u can try go to " SKYE",that awesome because u can see jakarta from top (the location :  Menara BCA - 56th Floor).

1. Jakarta (city)
  2. Kota Tua (attraction)
  3. Monumen Nasional (MONAS) (attraction)
  4. Blitz Megaplex (attraction)
  5. SKYE (restaurant)
  6. Menara BCA (attraction)