Jacksonville

What's the best neighborhood in Jacksonville for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Jacksonville and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Jacksonville is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Margie from Jacksonville

Hi Katie! I'd really say it depends on your what you enjoy. The Jacksonville Beachh area is beautiful. But there are a few other options to consider. Not only is Jacksonville a beach city but we have fantastic river views. You might consider the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville  to take in some of those views. You'll have access to the The Jacksonville Landing , a great spot for food and entertainment. 

If shopping is your thing, consider staying in the Southside/Deerwood area close to the St Johns Town Center . Many great shops and lots of fantastic dining options. Aloft is a good option in this area.

Are you a golfer? The Sawgrass  area is a must stay. Nice accommodations and world class golf. The whole Ponte Vedra area is uber nice.

If you're looking for a resort stay, venture outside of Jacksonville to Amelia Island. My favorite spot there is the Omni Jacksonville Hotel Omni at Amelia Island. It sits on the beach. You'll find fire pits, beach cabanas, comfortable lounge areas, pool and a bar in the outside spaces. The Chef on property grows some of the things you'll enjoy eating and they have honey bees so every bit of honey you try will be fresh from the hives. But this isn't in Jacksonville and is about 45-minutes away.

Another 45 minutes away in a different direction is Saint Augustine, the oldest city in the US. You'll love it there. History meets, quaint shops, nightlife and mouthwatering cuisine at the many restaurants you'll find there. Tip: My favorite place to dine there is the Columbia Restaurant.

1. Jacksonville Beach (city)
  2. Hyatt Regency Jacksonville (hotel)
  3. The Jacksonville Landing (attraction)
  4. St Johns Town Center (attraction)
  5. Sawgrass (attraction)
  6. Amelia Island (island)
  7. Omni Jacksonville Hotel (hotel)
  8. Saint Augustine (city)
  9. Columbia Restaurant (restaurant)

Chappy from Chatham, Massachusetts

The best place in Jacksonville to stay is in Jacksonville Beach (Jax Beach). There are a ton of hotels, but finding one right on the ocean is your best bet. Jacksonville is so big that you really have to figure out what you want to do there to be centrally located to your activities. The geographic area ranges from St. Augustine to pretty much the Georgia boarder, which is about and hour and a half drive down I-95. 

Michelle from Jacksonville

Jacksonville Beaches! Our beach is beautiful and there are plenty of restaurants and shops close by.