Andrea
Albuquerque

JFK Layover

I have an eight hour layover at JFK. Is this enough to spend the day in the city? I don't have to see it all, I just want to see something because I've never been. 

Personally, I probably wouldn’t be up for the schlepping it would take to get into the city for just a few hours, but if you’re determined to do it, I would take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and then the train into the city (a really think a cab will be too slow). You can get off at Penn Station which is essentially in the middle of the city, but not a nice part of it by any means. You will be close to the Empire State Building, so you could see that, although my guess is the lines will make it prohibitive. Remember, too, that eight hours isn’t really eight hours in airport time, so you really won’t get to see very much and you’ll have to be somewhat lucky with timing, too. My advice is to stay in the airport, make yourself comfortable at a bar, and see NYC another time!

1. Penn Station (attraction)
  2. Empire State Building (attraction)