Rhonda

Italy

Italy in 14 days for first time visitors that enjoy travel, wine, and food/cooking

We have 14 days in Italy in mid-September and hope to see the sights but also some off the "tourist trail" places.  Any ideas?

Gaia from Chicago

Ciao Rhonda!

The region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia is defenitely off the beaten path and still not touristy. And the food (but the wine Merlot and Friulano especially) is good -try the frico, if you go. Trieste is the main coastal city, but let me also suggest you the Roman Aquileia and its neighbor Palmanova: small cities, but still charming, speaking of ancient times. And if you want to visit the high peaks of the Alps, have fun in Passo di Nevea and eat the speck in Sauris di Sotto!

Enjoy my beautiful peninsula!

Safe travels!

1. Friuli-Venezia Giulia (attraction)
  2. Trieste (city)
  3. Aquileia (attraction)
  4. Palmanova (attraction)
  5. Passo di Nevea (attraction)
  6. Sauris di Sotto (attraction)

Abena from Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Vinci is a very quaint village off the beaten track. Check out some of my ideas on my blog... http://adventureswithbea.com/?s=italy

1. Vinci (city)

Hi Rhonda,

The weather should be lovely in September, all over Italy. I recommend Cinque Terre and Tuscany - visit Florence Siena Lucca if you have time venture into Emilia-Romagna and spend a day in Bologna Parma and Modena . The scenery, art, culture, history, food and wine are wonderful and you should meet some friendly people!

Have a ball.

1. Cinque Terre (region)
  2. Tuscany (state)
  4. Siena (attraction)
  5. Lucca (attraction)
  6. Emilia-Romagna (attraction)
  7. Bologna (city)
  8. Parma (attraction)
  9. Modena (attraction)

Brett from Eindhoven

Sounds like Northern Italy is the place to be. September is approachign harvest season, so Piemonte or Tuscany shoudl be lovely. But honestly, if you're able to leave Italy, consider Istria as well, where it's wine and truffle festival season.

Otherwise, it's also a great time of year for Emilia-Romagna - the food capital of Italy in my book!

1. Piemonte (region)
  2. Tuscany (state)
  3. Istria (attraction)
  4. Emilia-Romagna (attraction)