Sanjeev
Chandigarh, India

Italy, Spain

Which is the best country in Europe for first timer.

My idea of travelling is to stay minimum for 15 days in one country exploring the most beautiful places, culture etc. I would want to stay in self serviced one room apartment. Please advise which country should be chosen first and best 15 days itinerery. I may not mind visiting the same country twice for 15 days at one time but may not like to leave any place worth visiting in that country.

Hi Sanjeev,

I have a real soft spot for Italy The country is beautiful, full of lovely friendly people, there is a huge amount to see and lots of diversity. Do you think you'll rent a car or take the train? My 15 day itinerary (by train) would look something like this:

1. Fly into Milan (1 day, 1 night) Visit the Duomo Di MilanoTeatro alla Scala walk and eat along the canal in the Navigli region.

2. Take the train to Lake Como and take a water bus out on the lake. Spend a night in Varenna (1 night)3. Verona (1 night) If you can, take in an open-air opera in the Arena

4. Venice (2 nights) Lots to see and do. Guggenheim Museum, Venice St. Mark's Square Rialto Bridge Walk everywhere!5. Bologna (1 night) For the superb food!

6. Florence (3 nights) Art, architecture, more art! It's beautiful at sunrise!

7. Siena (1 night) An amazing place, see and chill out in  Piazza del Campo

8. Rome (3 nights) So much to see: Trevi Fountain Spanish Steps Piazza Navona TrastevereColosseumVatican City walk the city late at night.

9. Naples and Sorrento (2 nights) Naples is a bit like Marmite, some people hate the city but for some it is "real Italy" - definitely spend a day there!

There are many other parts of Italy that are wonderful - like Puglia Cinque Terre Sicily and lots of great little towns in Tuscany Umbria and Emilia-Romagna but I'm sure you'll want to go back! 

I love Spain too, especially Andalucía Galicia and Madrid but Italy has my heart!

Have a great holiday whatever you decide.

1. Italy (country)
  2. Milan (city)
  3. Duomo Di Milano (attraction)
  4. Teatro alla Scala (attraction)
  5. Navigli (attraction)
  6. Lake Como (attraction)
  7. Varenna (city)
  8. St. Mark's Square (attraction)
  9. Rialto Bridge (attraction)
  10. Bologna (city)
  12. Siena (attraction)
  13. Piazza del Campo (attraction)
  15. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  16. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  17. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  18. Trastevere (neighborhood)
  19. Colosseum (attraction)
  20. Vatican City (attraction)
  21. Naples (city)
  22. Sorrento (attraction)
  23. Puglia (attraction)
  24. Cinque Terre (restaurant)
  25. Sicily (island)
  26. Tuscany (state)
  27. Umbria (attraction)
  28. Emilia-Romagna (attraction)
  29. Spain (country)
  30. Andalucía (attraction)
  31. Galicia (attraction)
  32. Madrid (city)

Pat from Cambria

Each country is very different. Your destination should depend upon what you are interested in doing and seeing. I love Italy but just got back from Spain and can't wait to go back. Germany is wonderful, France also. I suggest you read a little about each country and I think your heart will tell you where to go. Don't rule out countries like Poland. It is fantastic. Read some on destinations and you will love wherever you land.

Nirosha from Hyderabad, India

France is the best country to visit for the first time.

Julie from Milan

I find that first timers want to be immersed in the culture but sometimes that can be very stressful for beginners. My 3 specific suggestions are these.

1. Travel to places where you can find English speakers. Just because the people around you speak English does not mean you are getting cheated from authentic experiences.

2.Next suggestion is to find a place that is well connected with public transit if needed. Being a tiny quaint town is great but wanting to go 10km over to the next town with no way is a bummer. 

3. Get tour guides. Those little speakers you hold to your ears- forget about it. You wont understand and will spend your time trying to figure out where you are and what number to type into it. Tour guides will hang around famous sites. Try to find other people near you willing to join the tour as the person would charge you per time not x people. I believe we paid 50euros for 5 people for 1.5hours at Pompeii. Or splurge at your favorite location, it will be worth it. Also, try free tours! The licensed tour guides work on tips so if you are satisfied at the end give a 5, 10 euro tip. I went on one in Barcelona and had a private tour with my boyfriend because no one else showed up. In Rome I went on one that was about 50 people and a little hard to hear. Go online to check out themed talks, meeting points and times and days. freetour.com freetoursbyfoot.com romefreewalkingtour.com freewalkingtoursbarcelona.com/en/

Finally, I would also recommend France. Paris is like out of a movie and fits a wide variety of tastes and interests and budgets. Thanks to the rail system you can easily travel to Versailles or wine regions or the coast. 

Italy Tuscany region is also amazing. Lots of tours and day excursions. You can also eat amazingly well, cheaper than Paris. The coast is just 2 hours from Tuscany central along with many cute towns. Including Cinque Terre. In this region however you will need a car or a train and maybe the hotel owner can bring you to hotel. 

Anyways, Enjoy!!