Michael
Venice Beach

Italy

Where to stay on the Amalfi Coast for a Honeymoon?

Getting married next year and I was thinking of Italy for our honeymoon.  I've been to Rome, Florence and Venice, but never driven the Amalfi Coast.  Positiano looks amazing!  Any suggestions on where to stay?  Should we drive or hire a driver?  What about staying on a boat for a few nights.  Where's the best place to fly in?  Thanks!

Sebastian from Brewster, New York

Hello Michael,

I've stayed at the Hotel Santa Caterina ( http://www.hotelsantacaterina.it/en/index ) and it was a FANTASTIC experience. Service was second to none and the food at the hotel was also great.

I would get a rental car while you stay there since there are various cities that are close for you to drive to including a ferry that goes to the island of Capri (full day trip if you want to see the whole island).

There are also some great ceramic shops close by with amazing work and they all ship to wherever you want. Here is an example (http://www.amalficoastceramics.com/ourceramicsshop.asp?l=2 )

I was able to go to the following places while staying there for a week.

-Positano- nice city close by with lots of great restaurants and sights

-Pompei close to Mount Vesuvius (full day trip)

-Island of Capri- The Ferry trip was great! Make sure to rent mopeds for the day so you'll get to see the whole island. Check out the Blue Grotto (http://www.capri.com/en/s/la-grotta-azzurra) which was fun. Lots of great restaurants with awesome views as well.

Sebastian

1. Hotel Santa Caterina (hotel)
  2. Capri (city)
  3. Positano (attraction)
  4. Pompei (attraction)
  5. Mount Vesuvius (region)
  6. Blue Grotto (attraction)

Amanda from Sydney

Hi Michael, 

Positano and most of the towns along the Amalfi Coast are amazing! Le Sirenuse is beautiful as is Villa TreVille

Driving can be thrilling or nerve-wracking on those bends, so I guess it's a personal choice. Personally, I loved taking the ferries to the different towns. 

You can fly into Rome or Naples. Rome would be great if you want to spend a couple of nights there too, and then you could get the fast train to either Naples or Salerno. From Salerno, you can get a bus or ferry to other towns along the Amalfi Coast. From Naples you need to get another train to Sorrento, then you can get a ferry or bus etc to Positano

Have an amazing trip :)

Mandy

1. Le Sirenuse (hotel)
  2. Villa TreVille (hotel)
  4. Naples (attraction)
  5. Salerno (attraction)
  6. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  7. Sorrento (attraction)
  8. Positano (attraction)

Dave from Houston

You would fly into Naples and rent a car. There are two upscale luxury hotels in Positano. They are the Il San Pietro di Positano Hotel (my favorite) and the Le Sirenuse Hotel Either would be great for a honeymoon. Forget the boat.

1. Naples (attraction)
  2. Positano (attraction)
  3. Il San Pietro di Positano Hotel (restaurant)
  4. Le Sirenuse Hotel (hotel)

Dave from Houston

Another great choice would be the Grand Hotel Cocumella in Sorrento. I'd say Sorrento is the ideal base for exploring the Amalfi Coast. The ferries to Capri leave from there. It is a short drive to any number of great tourist destinations including Pompei, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Naples, and Paestum. Sorrento has a lot of good restaurants and is a pleasant small city, not just a tourist place lined with T-Shirt shops.

1. Grand Hotel Cocumella (restaurant)
  2. Pompei (attraction)
  3. Positano (attraction)
  4. Ravello (city)
  5. Naples (attraction)
  6. Paestum (attraction)
  7. Sorrento (attraction)

Gery from Brussels

Hi Michael,

I know a very charming manor house providing accommodation on the Amalfi Coast, full of history and refined period art works: Palazzo Suriano

Unlike the majority of the (crowded) tourist hotels you see on this lovely coast, you can enjoy here the true hospitality of this authentic old house, restored with heart and talent.

Be sure to ask the owner about unique places you can discover once in Vietri sul Mare, off the beaten track!

Congratulation (a bit in advance)! Gery

1. Palazzo Suriano (hotel)
  2. Vietri sul Mare (attraction)