Zach
West Bloomfield Township, Michigan

Italy

What is the best way to get 4G Sim card for 10 days in Italy?

I am looking to pay less than $50 USD for the 10 day trip. I prefer 4G. I don't know if my phone is unlocked. does this matter? Phones will be GS6, GS6 Edge+, GS7, iPhone 6. Please advise.

It seems like the Vodafone Holiday is the best deal.

I found an article, but not sure how to reconcile it. This is about SIM cards in Italy.

They recommend the following options:

vodafone.it

wind.it

tre.it

tim.it (only accept italian credit card?)

There is TravelSim, One SIM Card, LemonSIM Card and Clay Telecom.

Does anyone have advice on this?

Thank you!

Zach

Matthew from Prescott

I haven't gotten a sim in Italy before, but I have done it in half a dozen other European countries. Typically you will need your Passport to get the sims and your phones must be unlocked to accept the new service. If your phones are not unlocked, it will just say invalid sim and you will have wasted your money. Call your carier and ask about unlocking your phone. I know Sprint will let you and I think AT&T and Verizon will also.

I used Wind in Sicily and it worked pretty good. As far as companies like TravelSim you are better off getting the local sim card, you will get way better service and data speeds. Be aware that when you insert the new sim card your phone will temporarily assume that new phone number (ie. Italian phone number) and you will not be able to receive calls from your U.S. number.

-Good Luck

Matthew

Julie from Milan

Hi! Go into a vodafone, Tim, or Wind store and say you have moved to Italy and want to get a sim card to pay every month. I paid 10euro a month when I lived there and never ran out of data or minutes/texts. 

You will need to pay 10euro one time for sim. I would not pay any more than 20euro/ month for your plan. Remember there is a lot of public wifi in cities and bars (cafes) so you may not use so much internet. 

Also, consider downloading Whatsapp if you don't have it. Most Europeans do not text but use this messaging app instead. As long as you have wifi you can send and receive messages. 

So take your passport, say you moved but you don't have permanent address, or give hotel address. Have them circle what your plan is so you know what you are getting- usually they have a clear paper that explains the monthyl plans.

Good luck! It is definitely smarter to buy a SIM than use a USA cell phone international plan!