Sharon

Italy

Recommendations for a 5 days trip to Lake Maggiore,Piedmont & Bergamo

Traveling with my Mom (60), and brother (30) for a 5 days trip to Italy. Landing in Malpensa Airport and the take off is from Bergamo.

Current plan is to stay 2 days in lake maggiore, 2 days in piedmont, and 1 day in Bergamo.

Would like to know if that's a good plan and would appreciate trip recommendations for places to visit and hotels.

Thanks,

Sharon

Dave from Houston

Lake Maggiore is AOK. I think riding the boats that go from town to town and getting out on the water is best.

If you have a car take a detour to nearby Lago d'Orta which is a jewel in the northern Italian Lake Country. If you can afford a splurge stay a night or two at one of my very favorite Europe hotels which is the Villa Crespi pictured here. It is just a delightful experience and they also have a great kitchen. 

1. Lake Maggiore (attraction)
  2. Lago d'Orta (attraction)
  3. Villa Crespi (hotel)

Kim from Birmingham (England)

I think that sounds like a busy schedule! It’s a few years since I last visited Lake Maggiore, but you can certainly spend a full day visiting the Borromeo Islands, and another full day on the Lake Maggiore Express, which is basically a round trip into Switzerland by ferry and narrow guage railway, returning by ordinary train. I would also recommend a trip to Lago d'Orta if possible - it’s a very beautiful smaller lake, one of the most beautiful in the region in my opinion. You could make a day trip there from Lake Maggiore.  

I haven’t visited Bergamo, but if your return flight is from there, it makes sense to spend a day there at the end of your trip.  

I don’t know where you were thinking of staying in Piedmont, but Turin is a place I’ve never visited but would like to. There’s a lot to see there, so that would be my recommendation!  

Have a great trip!

1. Lake Maggiore (attraction)
  2. Lago d'Orta (attraction)
  3. Turin (city)

Edmondo from Italy

Unfortunately I have never been to Lake Maggiore apart from knowing it is beautiful. Turin in Piemonte is beautiful (you could spend two nights there) and Bergamo (Bergamo alta, the old town) is nice enough. But Bergamo is not too far from Verona (lovely and far nicer than Bergamo) and beautiful Lake Garda (Sirmione, Desenzano del Garda, Bardolino and Limone sul Garda are a must).

1. Turin (city)
  2. Piemonte (region)
  3. Bergamo (city)
  4. Verona (city)
  5. Lake Garda (neighborhood)
  6. Sirmione (city)
  7. Desenzano del Garda (city)
  8. Bardolino (city)
  9. Limone sul Garda (city)