Julie

Italy

North or South?

On a 2 week trip, is it best to visit the south or north part of Italy?

Victoria from Riga

It actually depends not only on season, but on types of places you go. If you go now (winter) to South, I'd avoid small villages and towns (everything will be closed). Rome is probably the nicest south choice during fall/winter.

I'd go to FlorenceVenice (all year round), VeronaTrevisoMilan (think sales start on January 6th) and the neighbourhood for winter sports and so underestimated foody tours during winter. Those places have not only all the action but this northern Italian holiday charm anyone should experience.

During summertime all Italy (except probably the Alps) is amazing.

4. Verona (city)
  5. Treviso (city)
  6. Milan (city)

Gary from Scottsdale

I agree that a critical factor is when you are going, and would recommend the shoulder seasons, spring and fall.  Summer brings the big crowds to the major cities.  The Big Three -- Rome/Florence/Venice-- are called that for a reason, they are among the most wonderful cities on earth and should not be missed. Milan is great, too, and is the home of the Last Supper, but it is, in my opinion, mostly a business / fashion town. 

Too many great things to see to even start listing, especially in Florence.  But don't miss the Pitti Palace across the river, which many people never get to.  Truly amazing. Also the Uffizi Gallery, one of the five greatest art museums in the world. 

Since you have two weeks, I would buy a Eurorail pass (here!!) for 14 days and just wander out after seeing Rome.  You could give a couple of days to places south, including the Amalfi Coast, then head north toward Florence.  You can get off and on the train as you will, checking out towns that look interesting.  Just make sure you save three days each for Florence and Venice.  More if you go see some of the surrounding towns like Siena or Pisa and visit the wineries!  No matter what, it will be a memorable trip!

4. Milan (city)
  5. Pitti Palace (hotel)
  6. Uffizi Gallery (attraction)
  7. Amalfi Coast (region)
  8. Siena (city)
  9. Pisa (city)

It depends on time of year and what you want to see. In the summer, I'd go north and in the winter, I'd go south. Culturally, both are very different. Two weeks will allow you ample time to explore. On my last trip we did one week in Rome and one week in Tuscany and it was wonderful.

Stephen from Chiang Mai

I prefer the North depending on the time of year. 

You have a lot of art, history, and cultural. Places like Tuscany offer beautiful landscape, and you have picturesque coastal cities like Cinque Terre

If medieval cities are more your style then you can go to places like Siena. A city that makes you feel like you have stepped back in time. 

You also have cities like Milan and Florence 

You have Venice, and while it is super touristy, it still maintains it's charm. 

The south is also nice, with some great food, and wonderful cities, but if you only have two weeks I would stay in the north. You will get to see more of Italy's famous sites.

If you are looking for Italy travel tips check out my article here. http://www.abackpackerstale.com/blogs/backpacking-italy-travel-tips/

It covers a lot of the North. 

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. Cinque Terre (region)
  3. Milan (city)
  6. Siena (city)

Aylin from Turkey

I think north is more beautiful and enjoyable than south, ıf you prefer north you will see high-quality places and friendly people. ıf you go  Milan you should go  Osteria San Giacomo all of the beverage and food so delicious

1. Milan (city)
  2. Osteria San Giacomo (restaurant)

Surya from Milan

In my opinion, DEFINITELY the south. It's sunnier, happier and way more laid back. And the image people have of Italy, is that of the south.

The North is cold and grey (literally and figuratively), industrialised and not very pretty. Trust me, I learned the hard way (after moving to Milan for a year). It was a rude shock because I had been to Rome and assumed that's how it's going to be. Big nope!

Also, pizza is from the south!

1. Milan (city)

Georgi from United Kingdom

It depends on what time of year the trip will be but this is a very tricky question.

If you pick the south then you will miss on Tuscany which is arguably the most beautiful area in Italy where you can see many of the renaissance masterpieces of Michelangelo and places like FlorenceSienaSan GimignanoPisa etc. Milanis there too and the Italy dolomity and the great lakes Como and Garda.

Then on the other side if you choose the north then you should forget about the amazing Amalfi CoastCapriNaples and Sicily(if you even think of getting that much south).

Choosing south or north is not the best way to divide Italy as far as I'm concerned. For 2 weeks you can see many places in both so just spend 4-5 days in Tuscany using Florence or Sienna as a base and then work your way down to Rome and further down if you like. You'll need at least a week only for Rome if you want to see most of the things without running around. 

Bottom line is that if you want to see the renaissance Italy then choose the north. If you want to spend your time relaxing and travelling through beautiful coastal town then choose the south.

Last but not least Italy is one of those places which never loses it's charm so if you like it the first time (and you have to be crazy not to :)) you'll be planning to return as soon as you leave so just enjoy the 2 weeks as much as you like and then know that next time you'll see another part of the country.

1. Tuscany (state)
  3. Siena (city)
  4. San Gimignano (city)
  5. Pisa (city)
  6. Milan (city)
  7. Italy dolomity (attraction)
  8. Como (attraction)
  9. Garda (city)
  10. Amalfi Coast (region)
  11. Capri (city)
  12. Naples (city)
  13. Sicily (island)

Andrew from New Zealand

You could do both!  My wife and I did Italy in two weeks, staying in four cities and taking trains between them, the train rides were part of the fun :)  The main destinations for us were Venice, Florence and Rome but would love to see Milan and some quieter central or coastal places too.

4. Milan (city)

Lauren from Florida

It really depends on what you're most interested in seeing. The north will have Milan, Italian Alps, Venice and the Cinque Terre. The south will have Rome, Naples, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast. Florence and the Tuscany region is central to both. If you are wanting to hit the main cities: Venice, Florence, and Rome they can easily be done in two weeks with train travel. You definitely want to spend a couple of days in those cities because there is a lot to see. I would say that you have to stop in Rome though, there is nothing like it!

1. Milan (city)
  2. Italian Alps (attraction)
  4. Cinque Terre (region)
  6. Naples (city)
  7. Pompeii (city)
  8. Amalfi Coast (region)
  10. Tuscany (state)

Agata from Poznan

I would go to the north, but it's because I had been living there for a long time and have some personal attachment to the region. I would personally avoid the big cities. If you really want to experience the authentic Italy you should go rather for small towns or even villages. Do you speak Italian? That would be helpful to get close to the locals.

Agata

http://nullnfull.com/category/recent-travels/italy/

Ramon from Rio de Janeiro

depends largely on the time of year ... But I prefer the south

Iris from Dublin

I depends on what sights you want to see. If you go to the North, you'll be able to get acquainted with Italian culture and traditions. While the South is full of fabulous beaches.

Once my family and I we spent two weeks in Italy. We managed to visit both the South and the North. What helped us to do this in such a short period of time is a rental car. We rented it at Milan Car Rental and were really happy we did it.

During the first week we visited Milan, Verona, Venice, Metropolitan City of Bologna, Province of Florence, Rome,and even Vatican City. It gave us an opportunity to enjoy diverse Italian food, wine, picturesque scenes all around.

Then we spend some days relaxing at the spectacular Amalfi Coast and enjoy its kind sun and its unforgettable beaches.

1. Milan (city)
  2. Verona (city)
  4. Metropolitan City of Bologna (metro area)
  5. Province of Florence (metro area)
  7. Vatican City (city)
  8. Amalfi Coast (attraction)

Anna from Naples

It's a hard question. 
Having lived in Naples for 5 years now and being from a nice little town in the South, well... I'll surely suggest you visit my share of Italy, but I believe much of the decision depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend, and how long you are staying here. 

The best advice I can give is to make a list of the things you want to see, and decide a tour based on that. 

For example: you want to eat pizza, visit the Imperial forum, the Coliseum and Pompeii, take a tour of the trulli and eat granita?
Well, visit Rome, move to Naples, eat pizza, take a ferry to the Amalfi Coast, visit Pompeii, move towards Alberobello, and well, visit Sicily and enjoy your time. 

Let us know!

2. Naples (city)
  3. Amalfi Coast (region)
  4. Pompeii (city)
  5. Alberobello (attraction)
  6. Sicily (island)