Emily
United Kingdom

Italy

Long weekend in Italy - where to go?

I am thinking of having a long weekend in Italy but no idea where to go! The main reason I want to go is I LOVE Italian food so it is high time I spent a few days eating it where it is made best. If the city/town/countryside was pretty or interesting or historic then that's a great bonus. I honestly have no interest in art and little in museums so this is not a requirement. Also, it can't be too expensive - accessible by one of the budget airlines (from UK) and not a fortune to stay. Lastly, I shall be going in winter so a beach resort etc is probably not ideal - Thanks! x

Valerie from Seattle

Hey Emily! When I visited Italy, I went over Christmas in 2012. I did short stays in each city (Florence, Rome, and Naples), so hopefully my advice will apply to a weekend trip like yours!

I personally LOVED Naples--the city is warm and vibrant, even in the dead of winter, and the food is to die for. You simply must try pizza from Da Michele... it's the one that everyone knows, and it's worth the wait (they hand out tickets at the door and you just mill about outside until a table comes available. You may have to share a table, depending on your travel situation--I sat by a great Italian man who spoke impeccable English and lived in Shanghai most of the year!

Being on the sea, I heard a lot about how seafood dishes are the dishes to enjoy in Naples since it's a seaside town... maybe somewhere in the Posillipo neighborhood, which looks out over Naples bay toward the volcano.

Also, sfogliatelle is the must try pastry in the area... I got one from a shop somewhere between the Piazza del Plebiscito and the Castel Nuovo, though for the life of me, I can't find it on a map (I was super sick with the flu while traveling, and I'm surprised I even made it through the trip without getting mugged or something, I was so out of it!).

Since you'll be in Naples, you have close striking distance to Pompeii, so that's kind of a given if you're history buff. I think there are even tours that hike Mount Vesuvius if you like the outdoors!

Hope this helps you choose! I really liked all of Italy, but Naples holds a place in my heart (maybe it's the fever dream quality, I don't know, but I've heard others describe it the same way I experienced it, so I know it's at least partly just that awesome!).

1. Da Michele (restaurant)
  2. Posillipo (neighborhood)
  3. Piazza del Plebiscito (attraction)
  4. Castel Nuovo (attraction)
  5. Pompeii (city)
  6. Mount Vesuvius (attraction)

Gaia from Chicago

Ciao Emily! Italyis perfect for every kind of taste.

If you want an art type of weekend, go to Tuscany. Florence, Fiesole and San Gimignano are close to each other and small. Otherwise, choose Siena and Volterra.

On the other hand, if you like hiking, the Alps of Trentinoand Aostahave stunning views. There are valleys in which you can both relax and do sports, like the Valle Aurina. Also, the region of Venetooffers the Parco delle Dolomiti, wonderful.

Last but not least, a not very turistic region is Friuli-Venezia Giulia. You have everything, from mountains (Sauris), art (Aquileia and Trieste), and the Mediterranean (Grado is very nice just to visit).

Hope this is not too much! ;)

1. Italy (country)
  2. Trentino (metro area)
  3. Aosta (state)
  4. Veneto (state)
  5. Friuli-Venezia Giulia (state)
  6. Aquileia (city)
  7. Trieste (city)
  8. Tuscany (state)

Mario from Italy

If you love italian food and would like to learn a little bit more about it, you can come here in Friuli-Venezia Giulia for few days. It's a lovely region, close to Venice, not so expensive, in which you will discover many things to see, to taste, to drink... :-)

1. Friuli-Venezia Giulia (state)