JR
Manhattan Beach

Italy, Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples, Milan, Amalfi Coast, Positano, Ravello

If you had 3 extra days in Italy what would YOU do??

I literally have a 3 day gap in my travel plans and my only real requirement is that I spend it in Italy.

Here's what I'm dealing with:

• i'll be coming from Copenhagen (flights not yet booked so i can go anywhere)
  • I need to end up in Umbria. 
  • I'll be traveling with my two young children (5 months and 3 years old) so we will have strollers/carseats and all the goodies that come with having little ones
  • We would prefer a direct flight from Copenhagen to the destination but not required
  • Would LOVE to be on the coast but a little worried about all the stairs and carrying strollers etc.
  • Kind of thinking Rome is a not best idea because I remember it having heavy traffic and a lot of stairs
  • Leaning toward Venice because it's walkable and seems kid friendly, although crowded
  • Going in July
  • Transportation tips are needed too. Flights/trains/cars to eventually get down to Umbria

Would LOVE some other ideas/thoughts. Thanks guys!!

Julie from Singapore

Hey JR, I would recommend heading to Tuscany

There's a lot to see - beach, beautiful vineyards/countryside, city and its quite close to Umbria. You could fly into either Pisa or Florence, although flights into Pisa are generally cheaper and its only a 1 hour train journey into Florence. You're really close to the coast there and could get out to the Viareggio/Forte dei Marmibeaches. If you're not keen to stay in Florence, (will be very crowded in July) I recommend staying in a small town called Lucca. From Florence its very easy to get a train into Umbria. Alternatively you could rent a car to get around. Buon viaggio! 

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. Umbria (attraction)
  3. Pisa (city)
  5. Viareggio (city)
  6. Forte dei Marmi (city)
  7. Lucca (city)

If you've never been there, Venice is beyond amazing--seriously it's like no place I've ever been in my life--and in some ways, I would think a relatively easy place to deal with two small kids (lots of cafes and places to stop if you need to). That said, I have to put in a vote for Siena. Breathtaking isn't even the word for this city. It is sooo elegant and beautiful beyond words--maybe the most stunning town square I've ever seen. I think you might be arriving during the Palio Horse Race, though, you that's something to consider. It's a crazy horse race and the town is jam-packed with people (literally jam-packed--not just crowded--see the picture below) and I can see how it would be a little scary if the kids (or the adults) are in the wrong mood. Each team that competes has really cute little mascots like snails and giraffes, making it very appealing to kids. Not quite in Umbria but very, very close.  

2. Palio Horse Race (attraction)
  3. Siena (city)

Darren from Dublin

Hi JR,

You'll love Umbria, it's a beautiful and overlooked region and can easily entertain you for a few extra days.

I lived and studied Italian in Perugia for a few months. Public transport is quite limited but there is a local rail line running north-south through the region that links up with intercity lines to Florence and Rome.

A car is best to see the region as most towns such as SpelloAssisi and Perugia itself are hill towns so the train stops are often quite far from places of interest. That means taking a bus from the station or walking to the historic centres.

The landscapes around here are beautiful so I would recommend touring by car and spending those three days in the 'Green heart of Italy'.

Enjoy it!

1. Perugia (city)
  4. Spello (city)
  5. Assisi (attraction)

Scott from Agoura Hills

JR. Perugia is an amazing city to discover. It may not meet all the requirements listed but I promise its a well spent day or two. Our friend G Colliton told me about it and it was a an unexpected treat when I went a few years ago. A mid evil city with all kinds of character but none of the crowds. Our mutual friend also has a restaurant there. Message me for more info! Best to you and your family.  

Not many have known you longer than I :) 

Scott

1. Perugia (city)

Jeffrey

I really enjoyed the Amalfi Coast. You could fly in and out of Naples and then could get a car to and from Sorrento. From there you could do day trips to Pompei (via train), Capri, Italy (via ferry). There isn't a ton to do in Sorrento itself but it's still a beautiful place with good restaurants, etc.

1. Amalfi Coast (region)
  2. Naples (city)
  3. Sorrento (city)
  4. Pompei (attraction)
  5. Capri, Italy (attraction)

Katherine from San Francisco

Hi JR,

I just got back from Puglia (the heel of the boot in Southern Italy on the Adriatic Coast; also known as Apulia). I'm not sure what your budget is, but hotels get more expensive the further north you go in Italy, especially in the summer. If you are interested in the coast, Puglia is up and coming, and you get more for your money (hotel rates, food, etc.) Justin Timberlake recently married Jessica Biel at the Borgo Egnazia Hotel (http://www.borgoegnazia.com/?lang=en). I recommend that you book a rental car. I would book it ASAP, as they tend to book quickly. (It's not stressful driving in this part of Italy). You can fly into Bari Airport or Brindisi Airport from Copenhagen via EasyJet, RyanAir, or Alitalia.

There is a zoo/safari Fasanolandia in Fasano  http://bit.ly/1lkRZl8, and my sister in-law has taken her two small children there. Venice is nice too, but it may be hard to book a room, and you may want to escape to the beach in the summer heat. Here are some links of nice hotels near the beach in Puglia: 

http://www.cntraveller.com/guides/europe/italy/puglia/where-to-stay                  

http://bit.ly/1lLnMv4 

The beaches aren't as crowded in this area, and you have the option of driving to the Adriatic Sea or Ionian Sea. I heard from some locals, that the Ionian Sea is worth a trip because the waters are like the Caribbean. The local told me specifically that the beaches near Pulsano and Lizzano were pretty because we were near Taranto for the night staying at Relais Histó Hotel.
I have heard that Lecce is beautiful to explore as well. There is a cool spot called the in Grotta della Poesia near Roca VecchiaPuglia is known for their olive oil and burrata cheese. They also have some up and coming wineries.

Sicily may be another option if you want to go to the beach, but it's a longer flight.

1. Puglia (state)
  2. Borgo Egnazia Hotel (hotel)
  3. Fasanolandia (attraction)
  4. Fasano (city)
  5. Pulsano (city)
  6. Lizzano (city)
  7. Taranto (city)
  8. Relais Histó Hotel (hotel)
  9. Lecce (city)
  10. Grotta della Poesia (attraction)
  11. Roca Vecchia (attraction)

Christopher from San Francisco

The Maremma (southern Tuscany coast) is only about 2 hours drive north from Fiumicino. Monte Argentario is beautiful. Where exactly do you need to end up in Umbria? If southern Umbria, it wouldn't be a long drive from the coast and you could stop off in some of the Etruscan Tufa towns on your drive east (e.g. Pitigliano). These are all atypical foreign tourist locations.

Have a great time.

1. Fiumicino (city)
  2. Monte Argentario (city)
  3. Umbria (region)
  4. Pitigliano (city)
  5. Maremma (restaurant)

Valerie from San Jose

I would choose a trip to Rome (please be sure to hire a guide recommended by your hotel!) which can take you to Vatican City and drive you and the family around in their tiny van! It is SO WORTH THE COST!! While you're out, go to Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum, the Piazza Navona, the Piazza Venezia and ask the guide for names of their favorite local restaurants! Have a blast!

1. Vatican City (city)
  2. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  3. Colosseum (attraction)
  4. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  5. Piazza Venezia (city)

Margherita from Fucecchio

Umbria is next to Tuscany, so why do you not come to one of the most beautiful places in Italy?

You can land in Pisaor Florence, visit the city and decide to get a car to go to the seaside (do not go to Viareggio, the sea is dirty, but you can go to Castiglioncello or even better Maremma, that has great seaside).

Enjoy your time in Italy!!

1. Pisa (city)
  3. Viareggio (city)
  4. Castiglioncello (attraction)
  5. Maremma (restaurant)

Toni from Los Angeles

I am in love with Italy.  If you go to Tuscany, there is a Tour of Tuscany http://www.viator.com/tours/Florence/Tuscany-in-One-Day-Sightseeing-Tour/d519-5070TUSCANY that is SO worth it.  You get to see 3 cities in one day and have a great lunch at a vineyard!  

Venice is great too, but busy (not as busy as Rome, but still busy) so keep that in mind with the kids.

1. Tuscany (state)

Erik from London

I think Venice is a great idea although in July it will be crazy busy!  We spent a day in Bologna during our recent road trip through Italy.  I can highly recommend it.  It's quite small, easy to get around.  Very good if you're into the food.  3 days with children may be a bit long. The other option is fly into Milan or southern Switzerland and go to Comer See (Lake Como).  It will also be high season there so quite busy and expensive but should be a more kid friendly place.  We rented an apartment in Menaggio which was quite central and easy to reach all others towns via the lake steamers.  Only downside is the 70 min. transfer from Milan.

2. Bologna (city)
  3. Milan (city)
  4. Switzerland (country)
  5. Comer See (city)
  6. Menaggio (city)

Florence!!! Great airport and kid friendly and beautiful.

Mary Margaret from Bronx

I have to agree Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast are beautiful, 3 days will give you just a taste. Pompeii is also a beautiful day trip!

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. Amalfi Coast (region)
  3. Pompeii (city)

John from Carlsbad (California)

It looks like you can fly nonstop from Copenhagen to Milan or Bologna on SAS on certain days of the week.  If you go to Milan, you could head up to Lake Como for a few days.  It's very low key in Como or Bellagio.  Bologna is a great city for food and should be very child friendly.  From there, you can easily reach Florence by train in about 35 minutes and Tuscany and Umbria are near.  If you want to be on the water, you could go to Rimini in about an hour by train.  It's flat and child-friendly and has some interesting things to see.  Sounds like a great trip.

1. Copenhagen (city)
  2. Milan (city)
  3. Bologna (city)
  4. Como (city)
  5. Bellagio (city)
  7. Tuscany (state)
  8. Umbria (attraction)
  9. Rimini (city)