A
California

Italy, Rome

How to spend 1 week in Italy for first timers?

My friend and I (guys in our late 20s) will be in Italy this summer for a week.  Neither of us have been before so looking for suggestions on how long to spend in various places over 7 days and 6 nights.  We know we will start in Rome for 2.5-3 days, but beyond that would love to hear others suggestions.  Budget is not really a primary factor (though it is one) and we are relatively open in terms of the type of trip (cities vs. towns; beaten path vs. off; etc. -- ideally we would have some combo of the two).

Thanks in advance.

Kit from Chicago

I agree with Maria. Florence and Cinqueterre are my favorites, and they are easily accessible from Rome using the train. I would recommend one night in Cinque Terre - it is a relatively short train ride from Florence. And maybe spend two nights in Florence. Also, Fiesole just next to Florence is a charming town.

2. Cinqueterre (attraction)
  3. Fiesole (attraction)

Are you flying in and out of Rome or do you have flexibility? If you are travelling on from Italy or can fly out of Bologna, Genoa or Milan you can see a few places, easily. The train is great in Italy and stops in most villages and towns. You will be limited only by your tastes and whether you want to see a lot of places quickly, or experience the slow, Italian way of life for a little bit. I would recommend Tuscany - maybe take the train to Florence for a night, then travel north to Bologna (a short train trip) you could also take in Modena and Parma all lovely towns and very short train journeys from each other, then on to Milan OR, travel west from Florence, taking in Lucca San Gimignano and on to La Spezia to walk the Cinque Terre Trekking It's a lot to do and a short time to do it but, if you want a taster of Italy for your return trip, you'll love it! The rail website is www.trenitalia.it

1. Tuscany (state)
  3. Bologna (city)
  4. Modena (city)
  5. Parma (city)
  6. Milan (city)
  7. Lucca (city)
  8. San Gimignano (attraction)
  9. La Spezia (city)
  10. Cinque Terre Trekking (attraction)

Anne from Hengelo

It looks like you guys are going to Florence :) After a day of culture absorbing, I recommend to alight at Gustavino. It's super close to the Duomo and the food and wine are great. Make sure to catch a table in the back where the walls are lined with shelves of wine.

If you decide to visit to Siena as well and you feel like splurging, have dinner at the Antica Osteria da Divo. It's one of my favourites!

2. Gustavino (restaurant)
  3. Duomo (attraction)
  4. Siena (attraction)
  5. Antica Osteria da Divo (restaurant)

I agree entirely with the advice below as they've already covered many of the places I'd also suggest, especially the Cinqueterre because it provides beauty, but also a bit of rustic outdoorsiness with hiking and water sports available.

I'd also add in one of the islands off the coast near LivornoGorgona is one, but you have to get special permissions to go there. It's the site of a penal colony, but there's a beautiful wildlife refuge there and an exclusive winery. There are several other islands with ferry service from Livorno as well, hiking, and wildlife.  http://www.islepark.it

List of Islands: http://www.islepark.it/index.php?option=com_inform&view=article&id=42&Itemid=32

1. Cinqueterre (attraction)
  2. Livorno (city)
  3. Gorgona (attraction)