Darling Mae
Cebu City

Italy

How can I spend my 3 days in Italy?

Im a first timer tourist and I want to see Italy and in a very short stay. I would like to squeeze in a lot of places like the Vatican, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Colosseum, Milan and Venice. Please advice how to squeeze in all these beautiful places in 3 days. My trip will be in May. Thanks!

Michelle from Los Angeles

While I think Rome is the place to see, if you want to "travel" Italy in 3 days you can realistically do Florence, Cinque Terre, and Pisa. Pisa is by no means a must see but the Cinque Terre is absolutely stunning.

Amy from Cambridge, Massachusetts

Spend all your time in Rome. Three days there will allow you to see a lot which will mean the next time you go to Italy you can skip Rome and go to the other wonderful places. If you want a great day trip out of Rome, visit Ostia Antica- like Pompeii without the volcano. Have fun whatever you do.

1. Ostia Antica (attraction)

alessandro from Asciano

Ciao

Very short visit. Maybe you can decide only Venice and Milan If you'll pass a lot of time in the car or train.

Or stay in Florence and Pisa one day and after move to Rome for 2 days

Have a nice time in Italy

regards

Alessandro Draghi

2. Milan (city)
  4. Pisa (city)

Sean from Hudson Valley

You might find that trying to squeeze the entire nation of Italy into three days problematic.  Either you'll miss out on most of want you wish to see, or go rushing by it so quickly it will be almost the same as not seeing it at all.  Of the two, the latter is probably worse.  Your being right there and not having enjoyed the experience is, frustrating to say the least.

You'd probably be best served be concentrating your efforts in on or two particular sections of the country.

Of the five sites you mentioned, two of them are in Rome.  It seems like that's a reasonable place to either start or end your journey.

Consider these possibly itineraries.

• Rome - Venice
  • Rome - Florence - Pisa
  • Rome - Milan

The other thing you need to face is that any of these itineraries will bring you from one section of the country to another.  To that end, consider flying  in an "open Jaws" pattern.  That is, fly into one city, and out of another.  For example; flying into Venice and then out of Rome will eliminate the need to backtrack you journey just to reach the airport.  I do this all the time.  It not only saves you time, buy money also.

Finally, traveling within Italy will eat away at you time too.  You need to consider maximizing you travel time so that it maximizes the time you'll have for sight seeing.  You can do this two ways.

First, if you're traveling by train, select overnight, early morning, or late night trains.  You can catch some sleep on the trains, and awake at your destination, ready to hit the town.  You can view you rail options at,

http://www.bahn.com/

Secondly, there are any number of low cost airlines that service various cities within Europe.  These can reduce your travel time to next to nothing.  You can view you options, schedules and make reservations through,

http://euroflights.info/

Happy travels!

I really wouldn't try to see all of those places in just 3 days! Maybe spend two of your days in Rome and take the early train to Venice for a day trip. Can you do open jaw? Maybe fly into Rome and out of Venice? 

Scott from Boca Raton

Go to Northern Italy and hit Portofino and Province of Florence

1. Portofino (attraction)
  2. Province of Florence (metro area)

Julie from Milan

Hi! I understand wanting to see all the beautiful places in Italy but you don't want to spend all your time on a train!

This really depends where you are flying into.

My recommendations are....

1. Rome. It is insanely amazing and ancient and beautiful and so much to see and do and walk to and fantastic for getting lost in for 3 days.

2. If you were to fly into Milan I would recommend a day in Milan, a day in Comoand a day in Province of Bergamo. The lake towns are beautiful, Milan is a great city for food and culture and Bergamo is a great mid evil city. All three of these cities are about an hour away from each other on the train and cheaply priced.

Hope these suggestions help! My suggestion is not to plan too much because even the most boring place in Italy you can spend an entire day in!

Enjoy :)

2. Milan (city)
  3. Como (attraction)
  4. Province of Bergamo (attraction)