Mike

Italy, Milan, Genoa, Livorno, La Spezia

Good family-friendly beach towns in Northwestern Italy?

Hello! I am planning a family trip and would love for us to stop by a nice, relaxing beach town in the northwestern part of Italy for a couple of days to really unwind and get away from it all. We will likely fly into Milan and prefer to travel by train. Any suggestions? Budget is around $200 euro/night for a room, 6 adults traveling, June 2015. 

I appreciate any input from the Trippy community. Thank you! 

Elena from Melbourne

I would recommend one of the many beach town in the Liguria region. Finale Ligure, Celle Ligure, Varazze, Albisola Superiore. The sea is very clean (although the beach is quite small) & all these towns are very safe. There are lots of pensioni & hotels as well.

1. Finale Ligure (city)
  2. Celle Ligure (city)
  3. Varazze (city)
  4. Albisola Superiore (region)

Desirae

We loved the Cinque Terre! The beaches were more like pebbles than sand but the area is gorgeous and the people were VERY friendly!

1. Cinque Terre (region)

Alex from Boulder

Varazze is the best town on Earth, best town in Liguria, or Northern Italy (coast). Finale Ligure is my second choice. From there u can make day trips to Genova, France, Turin or even Milan. Stay in small B&Bs, they are cheap and full of that warm feel of Italian hospitality

1. Varazze (city)
  2. Liguria (attraction)
  3. Northern Italy (metro area)
  4. Finale Ligure (city)
  5. Genova (attraction)
  6. Turin (city)
  7. Milan (city)

Manuel from Sassuolo

I suggest Forte dei Marmi,  is a beautiful place to spend a couple of days in north west of Italy

1. Forte dei Marmi (city)

Philipp from Berlin

I would suggest you to go to Forte dei Marmi. It is one of Italy's iconic beach spots and offers an okay beach (it is not the Caribbean), great shopping, nice countryside and incredible food. It becomes very pricey over Summer, but June still is somewhat of an off season (but esp weekends already get pretty busy). One thing to bear in mind - only the high end hotels have separate beach areas, the rest is owned by Bagnieri that charge you quite a lot for umbrellas, chairs etc. As an alternative, you can go to the Spiaggia Libera which is for free, but not really kept in great shape.

Forte allows you to do several one day trips around to cities like Lucca, Florence or Pietrasanta and Pisa.

Hope this helps

1. Forte dei Marmi (city)
  2. Lucca (city)
  4. Pietrasanta (city)
  5. Pisa (city)
  6. Spiaggia Libera (attraction)

Caterina from Florence

Hi Mike, I'm not very familiar with that part of Italy but I have heard that Varigotti Beach (near Finale Ligure ) and Paraggi Beach (near Portofino ) are very beautiful ;-)

1. Varigotti Beach (attraction)
  2. Finale Ligure (city)
  3. Paraggi Beach (attraction)
  4. Portofino (city)

Mike from New York City

Thank you for the recommendations everyone, these are very helpful and I am having a lot of fun looking into each of these towns. Viva la Trippy!