Meredith

Italy, Tuscany, Siena, Florence

Best home base for visiting unique (not touristy) vineyards in Tuscany?

I've heard I should stay in Florence and take day trips, but wanted to know if its better to stay in Siena or another small town for better access to the vineyards, and see more of Tuscany. 

Miklos from New York City

We stayed in an AirBnB house in Greve In Chianti for a week. I don't agree with others as far as staying in Siena. You couldn't get more noisy and touristy in the area. Get a GPS in a rent-a-car and you're all set. Within 30-45 minutes radius from Greve in Chianti you can visit  amazing vineyards sitting on the classic rolling hills of Tuscany.

1. Greve In Chianti (city)

Stay in Florence and rent a car. You can visit Siena, Montepulciano (for Brunello) and Montalcino. All of these drives are less than 2 hours.

2. Siena (metro area)
  3. Montepulciano (city)
  4. Montalcino (city)

Kristal from San Francisco

I absolutely loved Castello Delle Quattro Torra, their address denotes they are in Siena, but they are actually about a 10 minute drive from there. We stayed in the blue room and our view was amazing, Even in the shower you got views of the rolling hills. The place was amazing, I would highly recommend it! From there we drove to Siena, Chianti, and could hop on a quick train ride to Florence. This was a great base and I loved the views. They also grow grapes and olives on the property. 

1. Castello Delle Quattro Torra (hotel)
  2. Siena (metro area)
  3. Chianti (attraction)

Corinne from Kansas

We stayed at La Falconara by Montepulciano. It was the perfect spot to day trip out of. It is beautiful and has three apartments.  The hosts are special people and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.  From this spot we were able to travel all around Tuscany. We rented our apartment for a week and it definitely was a highlight of our trip!!   http://www.lafalconara.it/

1. La Falconara (hotel)
  2. Montepulciano (city)
  3. Tuscany (state)

Roni from Dallas

I would strongly recommend staying in Siena, or just outside. You should definitely rent a car and explore the beautiful landscapes and visit vineyards and wineries that was. Driving in Tuscany is not too difficult (make sure you have gps of some sort - you can easily get lost on some smaller roads- but totally gorgeous!). I'd recommend renting from Europcar - the office is just on the outskirts of Siena (take a taxi) but it's generally much cheaper! Parking in and just outside Siena will be much easier than in Florence. You can still visit Florence but just take the easy 1 hour bus from Siena - very easy! Enjoy! Amazing trip!!!

1. Siena (metro area)
  2. Tuscany (state)

alessandro from Asciano

Ciao Meredith

rent a car is the best way to find and taste a god wine, Chianti area and Montalcino.

Regards and have a nice time in Italy

alessandro

1. Chianti (attraction)
  2. Montalcino (city)