Mark
Cotonou

Italy

Anyone have experience trying out their novice Italian in Italy?

In most places, people generally appreciate when you learn salutations and easy expressions in their language. Anyone have experience trying out their novice Italian in Italy? If your at a restaurant and know enough vocab/expressions to order, will most waiters put up with the effort or switch to English? Is it well received or annoying? 

Hi Mark,

I think it depends on where you are and whether the restaurant is very busy. In general I have found that most people really appreciate your effort to speak a little Italian. A few years ago I spent two weeks in an Italian language school in Milan but am by no means fluent! I can understand more than I can speak but it is nearly always appreciated when I try.

1. Milan (city)

Julie from York

Hi Mark, it depends whereabouts in Italy you are. Outside the main touristed towns and cities the waiters may not necessarily speak English. Effort is definitely appreciated no matter where you are, and - as Ashley & Ryan said - the word for pizza is pizza :) Have a fantastic time, Italy is a wonderful place and the food outstanding (Bologna gets my vote for best foodie place). Julie

Restaurants are the easiest!! Pizza and ravioli are the same in every language! Other than that Italians can be hard to keep up with  because they speak super fast, but generally speaking we never had much trouble communicating. 

Bongiorno and grazie do go a long way.