Kauser
Pune, India

Italy

8 days for Venice, Florence and Rome

Hi All,  

I needed some clarity on a trip that i am planning to take ( 2 of us). I have 9 days and have planned for 2 days in Venice ( port of entry ), 1 in Florence ( maybe spend the night there) and 4 days in Rome ( exit port). Are the days allocated enough? Any itinerary ideas?

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hi Kauser,

It sounds like you've got a handle on what you want to do.  My only suggestions would be,

1. Fly an "open jaws" route.  That is, fly into one city, and out of another.  Maybe into Venice, and out of Rome.  I do this all the time.  It save you time by not having to backtrack to get back to your point of entry.  It saves you not only time, but money too.
  2. With the exception of your flights in and out, keep you itinerary as loose.  you may want to trim a day off one place and add a day to another. 
  3. I couldn't help but notice that you said you had nine days.  However, when you add up the day in your itinerary they equal only seven days.  If you have an extra day consider taking a side trip from Florence to the Cinque Terre. It's a collection of five traffic-free towns, connected by seaside walking trails, as well as trains.

Michelle from Los Angeles

Personally, I only needed 1 day in Venice and spent 3 days in Florence While Venice is definitely a novelty destination while traveling in Italy, I thought that Florence had more history and culture (same with Rome). You definitely should research "free walking tours" in any city you visit where you can meet up with a small group and follow your trusted tour to guide you around Florence / Rome / & probably Venice. Then, at the end of the tour, just throw him/her a tip to say thanks.

4 days in Rome is good. But If I were you, I would totally make a pitstop in the Cinque Terre Consorzio Turistico We took a train from Florence (about a 2-3 hour trip North but the time passes quickly with the pretty views along the way) and spent a night there. It's basically these five cities built into this steep landscape overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and it's absolutely stunning. My friend highly recommended the Cinque Terre to me and said it was an unmissable place when visiting Italy.

She was so right; it's literally looks like a picture out of a storybook. and its charm comes from the fact that cars can't travel to each of the cities, so you have access to each small "city" by either train or boat. No large corporations here and it's VERY Italiano. Try not to miss it! (I attached a link to a photo of one of the cities so that I can help persuade you.)

Have fun!!!

3. Cinque Terre Consorzio Turistico (attraction)

Sara from Melfi, Italy

It's a good idea

Sandy from Memphis, Tennessee

I think Sean is right on, try not to miss cinque,don't spend a lot of time in Florence, and if you can stop in assi for a visit(short) you will like the village, note, we have been to italy many times and everywhere is wonderful! Don't get hooked into the big cities for long,be organized! If you go to Vatican,take a tour with reputable tour service and buy tickets ahead of time

John from Carlsbad (California)

I would say your allocation is about right if you spend the night and arrive early in and leave later in the day from Florence.  It's easy to travel by train from one city to the other.

Esmè from Guadalajara, Mexico

The distribution sounds good!