John

Italy

3wk in Italy 9/3/16-9/24

Planing out 1st trip to Italy.

Christian roots important

Food tours wine is not important as we do not drink

Doing this by train

Thinking 

Rome arrive 

Rome 4 days

Sorento 3 days

Bologna 4 days

Vience 2 days

Turin  4 days

Rome 1 day

Depart

What I am I missing planing day trips

From each stop

John from Carlsbad (California)

John,

Welcome to Trippy.  If Christian roots are important, I'd probably skip Sorrento, especially because it's out of the way.  Four nights is the bare minimum to see sights in Rome.  Five would be better.  I'd recommend you look at heading north from Rome.  Orvieto has a jewel box of a cathedral, but is only worth a half a day or one night on the way to Assisi for at least 2 nights.  Don't miss the Basilica di San Francesco and its art.Province of Florence has unbelievable religious art and a beautiful Cathedral and Baptistry and warrants at least 3 or 4 nights.  From Florence you can take day trips from there to Siena and Pisa.  Although the Leaning Tower is touristy, the Piazza di Miracoli with the Cathedral, tower and Baptistry set in the green square is impressive.  Metropolitan City of Bologna is a great food city, and a day trip to Ravenna to see the Basilica San Vitale with its fabulous Byzantine mosaics and other sights would be very worthwhile.  Venice is magical so definitely go there for about 3 nights, although beware that summer is not a good time there because of the heat and crowds.  I like Metropolitan City of Turin a lot, but 4 days may be too much.  I'd say 2 or 3 nights. Milan has one of the most impressive Cathedrals and Leonardo's Last Supper at  Santa Maria delle Grazie church.  Make sure you reserve tickets well ahead to the the latter.  If you can, fly back from Milan so you don't have to go all the way back to Rome.

1. Sorrento (attraction)
  3. Orvieto (attraction)
  4. Assisi (attraction)
  5. Province of Florence (metro area)
  6. Siena (attraction)
  7. Pisa (attraction)
  8. Metropolitan City of Bologna (attraction)
  9. Ravenna (attraction)
  11. Metropolitan City of Turin (attraction)
  12. Milan (city)

Julie from York

Hi John,

Italy is a wonderful country full of architectural and historical riches. As previous responders have said, it's also easy to travel by train.

I'd agree with previous replies about Sorrento / Christianity. However, if you're into history/architecture, it does make a good base for visiting the ruins at Pompei.

Bologna is fabulous (and great for foodies), and much less touristy than Rome or Florence. A good day trip by train from there is Province of Ferrara. It has a wonderful castle at the centre, and various museums and historical buildings dotted around town. I wrote about Bologna/Ferrara here: http://www.thegapyearedit.com/travel/bologna-hipsters-meet-history/

I was also recommended Ravenna (another day trip from Bologna) for its mosaics. I didn't make it there myself though.

I second a previous response about Siena. Beautiful place. Lucca is also worth a visit, with ancient walls you can walk around.

From Venice, the islands of Murano and Burano are famed for their lace/glass. I can't for the life of me remember which is which, but both are very charming.

Wishing you a wonderful trip.

Julie

1. Pompei (attraction)
  2. Province of Ferrara (attraction)
  3. Ravenna (attraction)
  4. Siena (attraction)
  5. Lucca (attraction)

Hi John,

Travelling by train is easy, cheap and efficient in Italy and September is a great time to visit. 

Rome is definitely worth at least 4 days. I would skip Sorrento altogether and add Cinque Terre for 2-3 days and Milan and Bergamo for another 2 days. Both cities have wonderful cathedrals and churches and Bergamo was the birth place of Pope John 23rd (his house is marked in the Citta Alta) Florence and Venice are must-sees and, close to Venice is the city of Padua which is lovely.

1. Italy (country)
  3. Sorrento (attraction)
  4. Cinque Terre (region)
  5. Milan (city)
  6. Bergamo (city)
  9. Padua (city)

Amy from Cambridge, Massachusetts

I agree that Sorrento, though lovely, doesn't offer much of interest for Christian roots. Rome, Floremce, Milan and Venice would all be great destinations.