Nathaniel
Boston

Istanbul

You have 1 day and 1 night in Istanbul. What would you do?

Doesn't matter if you or I have been before, or will ever return. That's up to you! I want to know your personal answer to this.

Snapshot trip! What would you do? What would you try to see? Where and what would you eat or drink?

Tony from Seattle

Istanbul was our favorite big city in 10 months of non-stop travel.

I would NOT stay in the Sultanahmet area, but you should definitely go there.  I would stay in Kadıköy, a hip Asia-side neighborhoods with open air markets, sidewalk cafes, and (relatively) few tourists.  It's young, hip, and has great energy.

From there you can take a cheap/quick ferry across and take the streetcar/train to Sultanahmet, where the famous stuff is (Blue MosqueBasilica Cistern, and Hagia Sophia Istanbul Old City).  The Cistern is awesome and super quick, as is the Mosque (go inside- you're welcome as long as you're dressed appropriately-- no knees or shoulders showing, ladies).  

The Hagia Sophia is a longer affair, but is obviously worth it if that's your sort of thing.

If you're feeling lazy, you could also hop on the ferry going up the Bosphorus - it's a great/cheap visual tour of the city and bounces from Europe to Asia, which is cool.  Go to Kanlica, which is famous for yogurt (worth getting-- I was skeptical).

Eat at Ciya Kebap.  There's a full post on it here (you should spend a few hours on her blog-- it's amazing).

1. Sultanahmet (neighborhood)
  2. Kadıköy (neighborhood)
  3. Blue Mosque (attraction)
  4. Basilica Cistern (attraction)
  5. Hagia Sophia Istanbul Old City (hotel)
  6. Bosphorus (attraction)
  7. Kanlica (attraction)
  8. Ciya Kebap (restaurant)

Eda

I would start with a breakfast by the Bosphorus at Mangerie, continue with a stroll along the Bosphorus and check out Arnavutköy Bebek Cd neighborhood and go to Sultanahmet to see Hagia Sophia. Then I would take the tram and head to Istiklal Avenue and just wander around and end the day with a drink at Leb-i Derya and follow it by dinner at Asmali Cavit.  I would organize all this with Istanbulite Travel Agency :) 

1. Mangerie (restaurant)
  2. Arnavutköy Bebek Cd (attraction)
  3. Hagia Sophia (attraction)
  4. Istiklal Avenue (attraction)
  5. Leb-i Derya (restaurant)
  6. Asmali Cavit (restaurant)
  7. Istanbulite Travel Agency (attraction)

sinan

In Summer?

I would definitely have a drink at one of the best rooftop bars of Istanbul. Check the list here: http://atdaa.com/posts/the-best-rooftop-bars-of-istanbul

sophia from Fresno

We stayed at this great boutique hotel the Hotel Niles, just two blocks from the Grand Bazaar, and about 10-15 minutes walk to the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia Istanbul Old City.  These are the highlights, and the best part of the city, I think.

1. Hotel Niles (hotel)
  2. Hagia Sophia Istanbul Old City (hotel)