Michel
Antibes

Istanbul

Weekend "must-do's" in Istanbul

I'm tacking a weekend stay in Istanbul at the end of a business trip and I'd love to get some ideas for a "must see", "must try", "must eat" list.  The idea is to sample Istanbul as I will most certainly return as part of a longer Turkey trip.  Can anyone help?

I would spend the day walking around the Sultanahmet area and take a cruise at the The Bosphorus strait. The walk across the bridge to the Galata Tower where you have excellent bohemian cafes for an afternoon cafe and finish off the night in the small side streets to Taksim Square where you have dozens of excellent restaurants and a roaring nightlife.

1. Sultanahmet (neighborhood)
  2. The Bosphorus (attraction)
  3. Galata Tower (attraction)
  4. Taksim Square (attraction)

kaz from Cape Town

One of my favourite places in Istanbul is the Basilica Cisternnear the Hagia Sophia in Sultanamet district. It is the largest surviving Byzantine cistern in Istanbul. It is so peaceful & serene and is a fascinating example of the amazing engineering skills of the Byzantine era. It's a great place to escape the bustling city streets for a moment.

Must eat pistachio turkish delight from the Grand Bazaar & try a turkish coffee.

1. Basilica Cistern (attraction)
  2. Grand Bazaar (attraction)
  3. Hagia Sophia (attraction)

Chris from Superior (Arizona)

Be sure to mind the museum times. They are shut on certain days/times and you'll want to know about that when you plan your itinerary. Be sure to show up two hours before closing time as they stop letting people in about 1.5 hours prior to closure.