Michael
Plano

Istanbul, Cappadocia

Istanbul/Cappadocia Turkey- is it worth visiting?

We are planning a trip to Berlin -2 days, Prague - days, Buddapest 2- days, Bucharest - 2 days, and Istanbul -3 days.   We are trying to decide whether to spend all 3 days in Istanbul or take 2 days off and go to Cappodcia.  Please advise.

Leeann from Istanbul

Without knowing your flight times it is difficult to comment on a suggested realistic itinerary but if you haven't been to Istanbul before then you can easily spend three days there and still be disappointed you didn't stay longer! 

ISTANBUL - 3 DAYS (done comfortably)

Day 1 - Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern,Blue Mosque, Hippodrome Hotel, Grand Bazaar 

Day 2 - Topkapi Palace and Harem (take 4 hours or more to really appreciate it), Spice Bazaar and Bosphorus Cruise. Evening in Kadıköy (Asia)

Day 3 - Dolmabahçe Palace, Taksim Square, Istiklal Street, Galata Tower.

If you were to go to Cappadocia I would suggest you fly there the evening of Day 1...then..

Day 2 - Take the Green tour to The Ihlara Valley and the Churches of the Ihlara Canyon and Underground cities. 

Day 3 - Wake early for hot airballoon and whatever time you have left see Zelve Open Air Museum as a priority.

Hope that helps you make up your mind. Bear in mind there are two airports servicing Cappadocia - Nevsehir and Kayseri - with the latter offering the more frequent and cheaper flights from Istanbul.

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Hagia Sophia (attraction)
  3. Basilica Cistern (attraction)
  4. Blue Mosque (attraction)
  5. Hippodrome Hotel (hotel)
  6. Grand Bazaar (attraction)
  7. Topkapi Palace (attraction)
  8. Harem (attraction)
  9. Spice Bazaar (attraction)
  10. Kadıköy (attraction)
  11. Dolmabahçe Palace (attraction)
  12. The Ihlara Valley and the Churches of the Ihlara Canyon (attraction)
  13. Zelve Open Air Museum (attraction)
  14. Cappadocia (region)
  15. Nevsehir (city)
  16. Kayseri (city)

Yuksel from Kuşadası

Hi Michael,

Of course you should visit Istanbul (city of Sultans) and Cappadocia (land of beautiful horses ) You will love turkey for sure. You can have a proffesional help from cappadociatourcompany.com

Have a great holiday

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Cappadocia (region)

Samia from Bangladesh

Istanbul is so charming, with quite a few things to do! 

http://archive.thedailystar.net/lifestyle/2012/02/03/page04.htm

I cant wait to travel there next time and add Cappadocia to the trip! 

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Cappadocia (region)

Gaia from Chicago

Hi Michael!

Turkey is on of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited and Cappadocia as a unique charm. You don't need more than one day to visit it tho, while Istanbulis a capital that will surprise you in every corner.

Safe travels!

Gaia

1. Cappadocia (region)
  2. Istanbul (city)

Nars from Boston

I would not recommend Cappadocia if you only have 3 days in Turkey. It is an hour flight away. You will have to fly back to Istanbul to leave the country. Plenty of amazing things to see in Istanbul. 

Cappadocia is famous for its hot air balloons and the fairy chimneys which is unique but you may not be able to do a day trip.

Have a good trip.

1. Cappadocia (region)
  2. Turkey (country)
  3. Istanbul (city)

Lale from Turkey

Hi Michael if this is your fırst time in Istanbul stay here there are to much places to see in thus marvelous city

1. Istanbul (city)

I have travelled non stop for 27 years and visited 73 countries and I would put Cappadocia in my personal top 10, so yes, I think it's worth a visit.

1. Cappadocia (region)

Diana from Lisbon

Hello Michael, 

Cappadocia is totally different from what you'd experience in Istanbul. More peaceful, more countryside landscapes, and I'd say, a MUST for anyone planning a trip to Turkey. Nevertheless, 2 days for Cappadocia are not enough, I'd say at least 4, to make sure you catch the balloon flight (you might catch bad weather and so they usually postpone it for the next day/better weather conditions day)

Still, if you decide go, I wrote a blog post about it, on things to do: A walk on the moon in Cappadocia

For Istanbul, 3 days are quite ok, you'll have time to see plenty of things.

Have a great trip, Michael! :) 

1. Cappadocia (region)
  2. Istanbul (city)

Gita from Mumbai

Turkey, especially Istanbul and Cappadocia are beautiful places, but if you have only three days, it may not make sense to fly to Cappadocia and back as there is so much to see and experience in both places. I'd like to add two things which could make your trip even more memorable.

If you're in the Grand Bazaar, do enjoy a meal at the Havuzlu Restaurant, great food and wonderful experience in a beautiful setting.

Do try to catch a show of the Whirling Dervishes on one of the evenings, you could try the Hodjapasha Dance Theater

1. Havuzlu Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Hodjapasha Dance Theater (attraction)