Francisco
United States

Istanbul

Best way to visit Istanbul?

What is the better way to visit Istanbul, in a tour or on your own?

Nilufer from Istanbul

In my opinion, there are so much things to see and taste:) So, if you have time, I absolutely recommend you to take a tour for few days at first sight in order to discover and see main points. After that spend sometime by your own to discover different areas or experience the same places twice.

Taksim SquareTaksim

Eminonu BazaarEminonu

Grand Bazaar

Blue Mosque

Hagia Sophia Istanbul Old City

Ortaköy

Despite visiting above famous old town places, do not forget to visit below ones to see beautiful side of Istanbul, and shopping centers 

Süleymaniye Hamamı do not leave Istanbul without relaxing at one of the most famous hammams.

Rahmi M. Koç Müzesi newly featured modern art gallery

Istanbul Modern Cafe & Restaurantİstanbul Modern newly featured modern art gallery and restaurant with amazing sea view and so close to areas like Tophane where you can enjoy Nargile (Ottoman style traditional smoke)

Miniaturk  all icons of Turkey meet you here as miniatures

Nişantaşı Paris style streets and other side of Istanbul in terms of luxury..

İstinye Park AVM one of the best shopping centers

Bağdat Ave most famous avenue at Anatolian side..do not forget to walk sea side to see the promenade where people are cycling and enjoying sunset on grass

Aqua Florya Alisveris ve Yasam Merkezi it can be far away from your hotel yet it is the largest aquarium of Europe and the restaurants are above seaside where you can watch the flight take-off

Rumelihisarı See the Rumeli Castle of Istanbul which was built in time of Istanbul conquest...Plan your day while you will be having your breakfast Lokma Cafe and enjoy watching ferries...

Anadolu Kavağı check out the photos from internet..you will meet a place where Black Sea meets with Bosphorus and the Anatolian castle as well...Try out sea foods near seaside..

Bosphorus Cruise | Day Cruises | Istanbul Sightseeing must do...

Çırağan Palace you may arrange a brunch there...

Adile Sultan Palace another stunning view of Ottoman palace meets you here...Eat food at Borsa restaurant inside the palace...traditional delicious Turkish Food.....

welcome already:) enjoy your days in Istanbul!

1. Taksim Square (neighborhood)
  2. Eminonu Bazaar (attraction)
  3. Grand Bazaar (attraction)
  4. Blue Mosque (attraction)
  5. Hagia Sophia Istanbul Old City (hotel)
  6. Ortaköy (neighborhood)
  7. Süleymaniye Hamamı (attraction)
  8. Rahmi M. Koç Müzesi (attraction)
  9. Istanbul Modern Cafe & Restaurant (restaurant)
  10. İstanbul Modern (attraction)
  11. Tophane (attraction)
  12. Miniaturk (attraction)
  13. Nişantaşı (attraction)
  14. İstinye Park AVM (attraction)
  15. Bağdat Ave (attraction)
  16. Aqua Florya Alisveris ve Yasam Merkezi (attraction)
  17. Rumelihisarı (attraction)
  18. Lokma Cafe (restaurant)
  19. Anadolu Kavağı (city)
  20. Bosphorus Cruise | Day Cruises | Istanbul Sightseeing (attraction)
  21. Çırağan Palace (hotel)
  22. Adile Sultan Palace (attraction)
  23. Borsa (restaurant)

Katharina from Hong Kong

I went to Istanbul a couple of years ago for a long weekend.  We went by our own which I thought worked out pretty well. The center of Istanbul with its historic and cultural sights is not too big and easy to walk so you don't need to be afraid of getting lost. Most people speak very good English and public transportation is cheap and easy to use.
I have never done a tour but I can imagine that this would not leave you enough time to stroll the side street and small shops and do all the necessary people watching. Istanbul is a vibrant and beautiful city and I think exploring it by oneself is the best way to go about it.

Eda

Hi, welcome to Istanbul already! 

I would spare at least 5 days for Istanbul and start with a Bosphorus tour to get my bearings around the city.

The following days, I would cover the historical peninsula and visit the main sights in two full days. For this, I would book a tour with private guidance. The remaining three days, I would explore Taksim & Karaköy area, Arnavutköy & Bebek Parkı area and spare another day for Kadıköy and maybe even one of the Prince's Islands.

Enjoy the most beautiful city on earth!

Best

Eda, founder of istanbulite.com

1. Bosphorus (attraction)
  2. Taksim (neighborhood)
  3. Karaköy (attraction)
  4. Arnavutköy (city)
  5. Bebek Parkı (attraction)
  6. Kadıköy (attraction)
  7. Prince's Islands (attraction)