Stefano
Milan, Italy

Stefano from Milan, Italy asked

3 days of food + flea + art in Istanbul

Hi Everyone !

at the end of november me & my wife will come back to Istanbul (we already visited the city 8 years ago) for a long weekend

we're looking for a good accommodation (hotel or airbnb - budget: 60$/night)

have you any advice on:

- best food
- best flea market
- best artistic underground scene (gallery, expo, calligraphy masters :)

I'm so excited. istanbul it's one of my fav city in the world!

thanks in advance for your tips!

Istanbul

Brooks from Phoenix

My wife and I went to Istanbul in January and loved this spot called Naif. Great mediterranean vibe and traditional food. 

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Naif (restaurant)
Leeann from Istanbul

What sort of food do you want to try? For a real off-the-beaten track delicious experience, you can try one of the restaurants around the Akasaray Metro Station. Its very local, don't expect English speaking waiters, but there's a mix of places specialising in  Turkish, Syrian and Kurdish food. Point to what you want on the menu. Don't expect luxury but generous servings at reasonable prices. 

Flea markets - what type of things are you looking for? Most neighbourhoods have their weekly markets selling clothes, fresh produce. Capa's Friday market (called Cuma Pazarı) is popular near Capa tram station. But have you been to Çukurcuma Hamamı? Just a neighborhood full of flea market/antique-type shops. 

Artistic underground - sooo many independent galleries to chose from. Tophane is probably the "hub" for independent galleries. Can I suggest you download the Foursquare App. Locals love using it and rating venues - it's where you get lots of leads too for food places...and markets.

Let me know if you need more info.

1. Cuma Pazarı (attraction)
  2. Çukurcuma Hamamı (attraction)