Jeff
Portland

Jeff from Portland asked

Restaurants around Newport Beach?

Looking for good, new restaurants within 30 min of Irvine. Looking for good cocktails, wine list and thoughtful food. Doesn't need to be expensive, but looking somewhere I can hang out for maybe 2 hours or so solo and appreciate the atmosphere, food and drink. I would be going mid afternoon (3:30-5:30).

Irvine (California)   Los Angeles (California)   Newport Beach (California)

Caroline from Laguna Beach

How about Laguna Beach if you're gonna hang solo? It's just a tad further south than Newport, and way more solo friendly.  Try stopping at Nick's Laguna Beach for lunch, and then maybe head over to Cie La Vie for a sweet bakery treat.  Down the street a piece is old school charm of Marine Room Tavern if you're going to be there later in the evening...live music, interesting crowd. Newport Beach? Javier's Restaurant - Newport Beach....

Louise from Los Angeles

I'd suggest Downtown Santa Ana Historic District or Lab Anti Mall in Costa Mesa. Depending on what part in Irvine, you'll be really close to Newport Beach and the The Market Place. Hope this helps!  

Breanna from Los Angeles

Pizzeria Mozza is always my go-to. Great pies, great wine and a comfortable atmosphere!

1. Pizzeria Mozza (restaurant)
Brew from Manhattan Beach

Three places that I'd recommend for high end Mexican and classic Orange County-ism are:

Red O Restaurant - I've pulled up to the bar there several times by myself and enjoyed the place.  Your timing will be off on timing a little bit (unless its a weekend), but the people watching is pretty spectacular, the design of the place is amazing and the food is very good, high end Mexican with good tequila, cocktails, etc.

Javier's Restaurant - Newport Beach and Javier's Restaurant - Irvine, CA food is out of this world Mexican and the design is amazing.  Total Orange County scenes at both places.