Beth
Israel

Ireland

What is the best time to visit Ireland?

I'd love to plan a trip to Ireland and I'm the type of person who just likes to get lost in a new place and explore so obviously a lot of walking is involved. What is the best season/time of year to visit this country? I'm not in love with heat so sunny and cool is best.

Gabriella from Netherlands

Hi Beth,

Weather and temperatures are really not that different here in various seasons. What you may want to consider is that the clocks are set back in October and changed back to 'normal' in March. This means that between these dates it gets dark pretty early. As Dublin is quite up North, days are pretty long in the summer (there is still light at 11 pm) but very short in winter (daylight between 9 am and 4 pm). So to make the most of your trip, I would suggest between May and October!

Cindy from Milwaukee

Sunny and Ireland aren't usually used in the same sentence. That said, my favorite times are September and May. The children are no longer on holiday and the weather is mild. But, I spent a week in Western Ireland in January and was rarely cold. If you pack a rain poncho you can enjoy the country uninterrupted. The rain, when it comes, it generally light so you can keep doing as you've planned.

Sara from Hermosa Beach

Irelandis known as the Emerald Isle for a reason - it is so green, but to keep that it is almost rainy all year round!  

My recommendation is to visit Ireland in the summer, possibly early fall. I would say that end of May through September are your best bets for weather.

The only problem now with going in the summer months are that you are going to have more tourists and it can get busy and crowded at the sites. 

1. Ireland (country)

Victoria from Plant City

Mid October for sure, the leaves are amazing, it's not too wet and you beat the crowds. 

Tina from Bainbridge Island

I just returned from 10 days in Ireland and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. It was sunny and around 70 degrees most of the time. We were in Dublin,  Cork, Galway and near Shannon. There was a smattering of rain when we were in Cork and wind and rain (but not much) at the Cliffs of Moher, which we visited just two days ago. September seemed like a good choice for us!

Darren from Dublin

Hi Beth,

I agree with all the above, winter can be cold but rarely snowy except for the exceptional years of course!

I would also recommend May, June or September as the days are of good length but the light and weather is more pleasing.

Because our weather is dominated by the Atlantic, the conditions can be unpredictable. Last week was warm and sunny but this week has seen lots of rain, mist and some winds so you can be lucky or unlucky.

Really the best advice is to bring waterproofs, adapt to the conditions and enjoy yourself!