Ben

Ireland

'Treasure Hunt' to finish at Guinness or castle...routing help please!

Hi all,

I am setting up a treasure hunt for work as a fun thing to do for one morning in Dublin (we are there for Xmas party).

Basically I have a start point of Jacobs Inn where we are staying and want to finish it (ideally under 2 hours) at the Guinness Brewery or Castle if it's better as I think the brewery is quite out of the centre of town?

This is where I need help.  I will be splitting everyone up into two teams, so I need two different routes - can anyone give me some help with this? (it's my first time in Dublin so am going off internet 'places of interest' type pages.)

The way I envisage it working it:

• 2 teams set off from Jacobs Inn
  • I head to finish point - Guinness Brewery or maybe Castle as it's more central?
  • I text the clue (anagram, riddle, question - e.g. where was xxx born/murdered/married etc.) of a place and they have to figure it out and take a photo of the place.
  • Once I get the photo proof that they are there, I will text the next clue - and so on, so forth.  I'm thinking 3 sites for them to find?
  • So I need 2 different routes with 6 different places of interest where it will be fun and easy-isn.

Can anyone help with this - any cool off-beat sites (churches, famous pubs where famous people went or an event happened, mythical place maybe) I can send them to?

Or any sites I should definitely send them to?

Ben

Hi Ben,

That sounds like fun! The Guinness storehouse is at James' Gate, 20mins walk along the quays - why not give the contestants a basic Leap card which is valid on all public transport? That way they could travel to Guinness StorehouseSmithfield (Jameson Distillery) or Collins Barracks on the Luas (tram) in just a few minutes.

I would also send a group to the Famine statues (see below) and World Poverty stone on Custom House Quay There is also a full size replica of a famine ship nearby called the Jeannie Johnston (open for tours)

The Oscar Wilde Monument on Merrion square is also pretty cool.  The Little Museum of Dublin has a lot of U2 memorabilia. Trinity College has some interesting artefacts in the grounds, like: http://goireland.about.com/od/dublinsattractions/ig/Trinity-College-Images/Sphere-Within-Sphere.htm   and the Old Library

The remains of St Valentine (Love, Feb 14th and all that stuff!) lie in the Carmelite church, Aungier St.                                                               Christ Church Cathedral has the tomb of Strongbow.
You might want to put a pub on the list for each group. The Brazen Head is the oldest pub in Dublin I think Grogans pub Dublin is the only pub in town that doesn't allow music and refuses to have a TV, even for important sports events, so that customers can talk with each other! The Palace Bar and Mulligan's are lovely old Dublin pubs with great barmen (you could phone ahead and give clues to a particular barman) Irish Whiskey Museum is also worth a look. 

James Joyce Centre is really good and has a "secret courtyard".

Orson Welles, James Mason and Michael Gambon all started their acting careers in Dublin's Gate Theatre Many famous actors have starred in plays there: Ralph Fiennes, John Hurt, Frances McDormand, Liam Neeson, Stephen Rea to name but a few!

Here's a link to famous people born in Dublin city: http://www.biography.com/people/groups/birth-city-dublin

Here's a link to the nicknames of some famous Dublin statues: http://www.kuriositas.com/2013/03/the-statues-of-dublin-and-their.html

Have a ball in Dublin!

1. Guinness Storehouse (attraction)
  2. Smithfield (attraction)
  3. Collins Barracks (attraction)
  4. Custom House Quay (attraction)
  5. Oscar Wilde Monument (attraction)
  6. The Little Museum of Dublin (attraction)
  7. Trinity College (attraction)
  8. Old Library (attraction)
  9. Christ Church Cathedral (attraction)
  10. The Brazen Head (neighborhood)
  11. Dublin (attraction)
  12. The Palace Bar (restaurant)
  13. Mulligan's (restaurant)
  14. Irish Whiskey Museum (attraction)
  15. James Joyce Centre (attraction)
  16. Gate Theatre (attraction)