• Adam Monroe
  • "Travel Itinerary suggestions and trip ideas"

Adam Monroe

Mississippi

Travel Itinerary suggestions and trip ideas

I'm flying in/out of dublin first week of august 2018.  I have only 9 days for travel, but $$ isn't an issue. 

Based on my reading and interests, i'd like to see most of the southern half of Ireland, especially wild atlantic way.  I'm thinking 2 nights in Dublin, 2 or 3 nights in the Galway area, with as much of the scenic areas as possible. 

I'm pretty sure i'll rent a car in galway to do the ring of kerry and scenic areas.  If I can squeeze in a night or 2 in cork that would be great.  See the blarney castle and take a bus back to dublin.  Is this too ambitious?  I prefer nature to pubs/shopping/tourist stuff.  

• Dublin (city)

Dublin

• Kinsale (city)

Kinsale

• Dingle (city)

Dingle

• Maria O'Dwyer

Trippy Ambassadors are elite members of the community, hand picked to help you travel better!

Hi Adam,

9 days isn't a vast amount of time to see Ireland properly so the idea of concentrating on a section of the country is a good one! Hiring a car is also a good idea. Most of the country has motorways connecting the main cities and most roads are pretty decent, until you venture onto some coastal routes in Cork or County Kerry or Connemara even then you should have no problem.

I live in Dublin and love the city. It is on the coast and close to Dublin and Wicklow mountains and has lots of great walks and nice villages like Malahide Dalkey Glasthule Probably 2 days is good to see the city. You'll probably want to see Trinity College Christ Church Cathedral Guinness Storehouse the famine statues Glendalough is about an hour's drive away and well worth the trip. A lot of visitors like the Dublin theatre and music scenes - there's usually a lot going on in August.

I love Clare especially the drive through The Burren up to Galway Bay and into Connemara - it's perfect for 4-5 days. There are interesting places to stay in www.irelands-blue-book.ie or www.irishlandmark.com (the Landmark Trust)

West Cork and Kerry are also lovely to visit. Consider Schull Skibbereen Kinsale (Cork) or Dingle Waterville (Ireland) Kenmare (Kerry) If you decide to drive south to Cork and Kerry consider detouring for an hour or two to Kilkenny to visit Kilkenny Castle or to Cashel to see the Rock of Cashel (worth taking a tour to learn about the history)

Have a great trip. Let me know if you need more information.

• Adam M.

Adam M.

excellent info! i've booked 2 nights in dublin so far. My debate now is to head west to Galaway for a couple of nights, or drive south going toward kilkenny/cork. Either way, i'm planning on 4 flexible nights in the west coast between ring of kerry and galway. Are there any reasons to hit galway first versus heading south? Just curious. Thanks for all the info! · (0 likelikes)

• Maria O.

Maria O.

Purely personal preference, Adam. the whole country is pretty small, it will take about 4-5 hours to hit Ring of Kerry from Dublin and, if you want you can take a ferry from North Kerry (Tarbert) to Killimer in Clare, it takes about 20 mins and cuts an hour off your journey to Galway. Just 15 mins from Ferry port, in Foynes, you can see the Foynes Flying boat and Maritime museum - also where the Irish Coffee was invented! Galway city to Dublin takes a little over 2 hours (a little longer in rush hour) · (1 likelikes)

1. Cork (city)
    2. County Kerry (state)
    3. Connemara (city)
    4. Dublin (city)
    5. Malahide (city)
    6. Dalkey (city)
    7. Glasthule (city)
    8. Trinity College (attraction)
    9. Christ Church Cathedral (attraction)
    10. Guinness Storehouse (attraction)
    11. the famine statues (unknown)
    12. Glendalough (attraction)
    13. Clare (state)
    14. The Burren (city)
    15. Galway Bay (attraction)
    16. Connemara (city)
    17. Schull (city)
    18. Skibbereen (city)
    19. Kinsale (city)
    20. Dingle (city)
    21. Waterville (Ireland) (city)
    22. Kenmare (city)
    23. Kilkenny (city)
    24. Kilkenny Castle (attraction)
    25. Cashel (city)
    26. Rock of Cashel (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Maria a Thank You Note