Michael
Columbus

Ireland

Trains in Ireland? Is it smart to travel this way?

Is traveling by train a smart way to travel in Ireland?  Can you easily switch between renting cars and train travel or if you rent a car should you just keep it for the duration of the trip?

Erin from Kimberly, Wisconsin

Hi Michael, we rented a car and used it the entire time we were there. Traveled all of Ireland with one car but I imagine it is quite easy to switch it out during the trip especially between Shannon Airport and Dublin. I never took the train but I definitely recommend renting a car and taking your own path when in Ireland. that is... as long as you are okay with driving on 1 lane roads and sharing it with the opposite side traffic and are mindful of a few tour buses, goats, and sheep :) It's seriously the best! Enjoy!

1. Shannon Airport (attraction)
  2. Dublin (attraction)