Andrea
Varese

Ireland, Dublin

Towns to visit from Dublin by train?

Where are great places to visit for a weekend south of Dublin by train? It will only be a weekend trip and wanted to know what are some great places to see.

Thank you 

Daniel from Braga, Portugal

Hey Andrea,

I lived in Ireland a few years ago, a did many weekend trips to other towns besides Dublin. Would you consider driving there? The scenery is absolutely amazing, would definitely recommend renting a car.

Not sure if you ever driven on the "other side of the road" - I come from Portugal, which drives on the same side as Italy, but it's really easy to get used to it.

As for other places - Visit Galway City (HUGE must) and Cork. Cliffs of Moher are famous, but I'm not a huge fan to be honest. Going to little towns and seeing the beautiful scenery is much nicer.

The island is pretty small, so you'll take 2-3 hours max from one side to the other, so it's perfect for a weekend.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any other questions you might have!

1. Dublin (attraction)
  2. Galway City (attraction)
  3. Cork (city)
  4. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)

John from Ireland

South of Dublin, I would recommend Waterford or Kilkenny. Both are a reasonably short train journey and have a lot to see and do. 

Must do in Waterford is the Waterford glass tour.

In Kilkenny, make sure to visit the castle.

1. Dublin (attraction)
  2. Waterford (city)
  3. Kilkenny (attraction)

As your time is limited I would suggest some places close to Dublin like Howth, a seaside town in North county Dublin or Greystones in Wicklow. Both are at either end of the DART (Dublin's coastal train) and each takes a little less than an hour's travel from Central Dublin. Belfast or Kilkenny are two other great options and are accessible as day trips. Have a great holiday.

1. Howth (attraction)
  2. Greystones (attraction)
  3. Belfast (attraction)
  4. Kilkenny (attraction)