Justin
South Lake Tahoe

Justin from South Lake Tahoe asked

Scenic spots I can't miss in Ireland?

I'm going to be meeting with my brother in Ireland in the spring and we are really looking forward to exploring the country! We'll be meeting up in Dublin, then planning on driving around the country for a week and half. What are great scenic, photogenic spots that we can't miss on our trip? 

Ireland   Dublin

Adam from Dublin

The Wild Atlantic Way is one to do - the longest coastal route in Europe starting in Kinsale and going all the way along to Derry (http://www.wildatlanticway.com/) excellent for driving. 

The whole route is astounding - 2500km might be a bit long. Highlights: West Cork Clonakilty to Schull, Kerry Sneem to Killorglin

Hit Galway City for a great night out. 

Wild Sligo for some of the best coasts and surfing in the world. 

Hundreds of other little spots available to but those are great. 

Justin
Thank you, Adam!

1. Kinsale (city)
  2. Derry (city)
  3. Clonakilty (city)
  4. Schull (city)
  5. Sneem (city)
  6. Killorglin (city)
  7. Galway City (attraction)
  8. Sligo (city)
Christina

My favorite spot was recommended by a taxi driver in Dublin.  Glendalough was a beautiful gem of a spot that wasn't overrun by tons of people.  Easily accessible from Dublin.  Incredibly peaceful.  Beautiful area.  The ancient, moss covered gravestones were so intriguing.  I was surprised that I enjoyed this spot far more than the Rock of Cashel.  We really enjoyed driving on the Old Military Rd near Glendalough.  It was just us and the sheep and a few others in their sports cars enjoying the twisting, turning roads.

The Cliffs of Moher were of course gorgeous and I'm so glad that we made the long trip from Dublin to see them.  However, they were pretty overrun with people even on a rainy day and so not quite as special as Glendalough.  

After visiting Galway City, I wished we would have stayed there instead of Dublin!

Justin
Thank you, Christina!

1. Glendalough (city)
  2. Rock of Cashel (attraction)
  3. Old Military Rd (attraction)
  4. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  5. Galway City (attraction)
Pamela from New Canaan, Connecticut

Don't miss the magical, otherworldly expanse of Connemara and the West coast of Ireland.  Stay at The Quay House in the charming village of Clifden.

Justin
Thank you for these ideas!

1. Connemara (city)
  2. The Quay House (hotel)
  3. Clifden (city)
Stephanie from Los Angeles

Cliffs of Moher, Dingle Peninsula, Kerry (Killarney was my absolute favorite of all of Ireland), Temple Bar district in Dublin

Nice suggestions, Stephanie! I'm dying to visit Ireland! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

Stephanie
Thanks Debbie, nice to e-meet you! I'll move forward with my next posts!

My pleasure! Let me know if you have any questions :)

1. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  2. Dingle Peninsula (attraction)
  3. Kerry (city)
  4. Killarney (city)
  5. Temple Bar (attraction)
  6. Dublin (city)
Declan from Dublin

Glendalough is amazing, lovely mountains, walks, an old monastic sight with a round tower.  

http://www.glendalough.ie/

also Newgrange and the Hill of Tara

Justin
This looks stunning. Thank you!

1. Glendalough (city)
  2. Newgrange (attraction)
  3. Hill of Tara (attraction)
Catherine from Wicklow

Bordering Dublin you'll find Wicklow, here you have the monastic city of Glendalough complete with round tower, old burial site, lakes, waterfalls, hiking, biking opportunites, travel up along the Wicklow Gap/Salley Gap for stunning scenery. I love the west coast there's now a route you can follow called the Wild Atlantic Way, brings you to the highlights of the west coast, Kerry is a must see, the Cliffs of Moher, west Galway City...you wont be disappointed

Justin
Thank you, Catherine!

1. Wicklow (city)
  2. Glendalough (city)
  3. Wild Atlantic Way (attraction)
  4. Kerry (city)
  5. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  6. Galway City (attraction)
Veronica from Wyoming

Cliffs of Moher (Coach Park). It's beautiful!

Ring of Kerry. Also very cool.

Adare. Got some good pictures of cottages!

The people are super nice everywhere we went.

Justin
Thanks, Veronica!

1. Cliffs of Moher (Coach Park) (attraction)
  2. Ring of Kerry (attraction)
  3. Adare (city)
Beth from Jasper (Florida)

Ireland is a great driving country!  Just north of Dublin  (about a two hour drive) is Newgrange which is a neolithic tomb. It is very interesting and pretty to see.  The Bru na Boinne (Visitor Centre) is where you can catch the tour.  If you are headed up to Northern Ireland I HIGHLY recommend Giants Causeway.  It is on the northwest edge of the country and it is a volcanic rock formation that is really cool to see.  The rocks formed in hexagonal pillars.  It is worth a trip.  There is also a Whiskey distillery just down the road from Giants Causeway as well!  If you head across the country from Dublin to the Western Coast make sure you see the Cliffs of Moher.  It is STUNNING!!  and best of all it is free!  I loved in Limerick in the small town of Adare for two years.  It is an amazing country!  The locals are amazing and super kind.  Enjoy!!!  Let me know if there is any other questions!  Happy to help!  

Justin
Wow, thank you for all of these ideas, Beth!

1. Dublin (city)
  2. Newgrange (attraction)
  3. Bru na Boinne (Visitor Centre) (attraction)
  4. Northern Ireland (attraction)
  5. Giants Causeway (city)
  6. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  7. Limerick (attraction)
  8. Adare (city)
Frode from Norway

Basically all of Ireland is photogenic, but you really must see the Cliffs of Moher. And while you are down there, go to Dingle Peninsula. Great scenery!

Justin
Thank you, Frode!

1. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  2. Dingle Peninsula (attraction)
Abbie from United States

I think everyone hit some really great spots based on the other suggestions.  What time of year are you going, that may make a difference for a spot like the Aran Islands.  I'd also try and go north if you have the time - Giants Causeway was mentioned before and it's a great day trip from Belfast.  Also when heading south I'd look into Killarney area, the National Park there is beautiful if you like outdoor exploring.  I think you'll be hard pressed to find somewhere that's not picturesque and scenic!  

Justin
Thank you, Abbie!

1. Aran Islands (attraction)
  2. Giants Causeway (city)
  3. Belfast (attraction)
  4. Killarney (city)
Brian

If you can ,the Aran Islands are amazing for a day trip.  You can catch a tour bus and ferry from Galway City. Inishmore is the Island you want to see with the ancient fort and Serpents Lair. You will have to ask a local to find the Serpent's Lair. If you head north the village of Roundstone is very scenic as well, Clifden is also nice, a short drive from there. Ballynahinch Castle Hotel in the same area , it is a nice hotel with a nice pub and fancy restaurant at night.

Justin
Thank you, Brian!

1. Aran Islands (attraction)
  2. Galway City (attraction)
  3. Inishmore (city)
  4. Roundstone (city)
  5. Clifden (city)
  6. Ballynahinch Castle Hotel (hotel)
Padraig from Bunnanaddan, Sligo, Ireland

Justin

1. Connemara (city)