Rachael
Eugene

Ireland

Hostels yes or no?

My roommate and I are both young females that are very new to traveling abroad and staying in hostels. I have heard good things about the cost of hostels, but our parents our rather concerned for our safety if we were to stay in them throughout our trip. I guess my question is are hostels relatively safe in Ireland?

Christina from Dublin

Hi Rachael, in my experience of hostels in Ireland they all felt safe.  The ones I've stayed in were in the countryside or small towns, so I don't know what hostels in cities are like.  You'll generally find a mixture of people staying there, and ages ranged from young to old, with a few families thrown in too.  

www.anoige.ie is the official Irish hostel website (oige = 'youth' in Irish), though not all hostels are listed with them.

Ceara from Dublin

Hi Rachel! I would say your parents may be rest assured as I have been all over Ireland and stayed in all sorts of hostels on the way, as a solo traveler and with groups. I've never had a problem especially regarding my safety. Understandably, everyone would have their concerns traveling to a foreign city but you should treat the hostels here with the same cautiousness you would anywhere else i.e. read some reviews before you book them, don't leave any valuable items around and avail of lockers/safes if and when you can.

In Dublin I'd recommend Barnacles. It's a great hostel and it's right in the centre of Temple Bar. They have a chain in Galway City too! The second nicest hostel I stayed in was Derry City Independent Hostel in Derry. The twin room I was in felt like a B&B and the people you meet while having breakfast or relaxing in the sitting room are often lovely!

My advice would be to read some reviews before you book anywhere then relax and enjoy the trip! 

1. Temple Bar (neighborhood)
  2. Galway City (attraction)
  3. Derry (city)

Clare from Paris

Yes, they are fine. Check for reviews for certain hostels for safety and in the area that they are in.  Generator Hostel Dublin always gets good reviews. Have fun in Ireland

1. Generator Hostel Dublin (hotel)