Joshua

Ireland

Four Short Days in Ireland--Into Dublin, Out Of Cork-- Itinerary Help?

Hello!

I will be visiting Ireland soon for the very first time. My girlfriend and I will arrive in Dublin the evening of 6/3 and depart from Cork for London the morning of 6/8.

To this point the plan has been two days in/around Dublin and two days in/around Cork (not counting day of arrival or departure).

I have more recently been considering a train from Dublin to Limerick or Tralee or Killarney to enjoy some of the more southwestern portions of Ireland before taking the train/driving back toward Cork 6/7 to visit Blarney Castle and/or the Rock Of Cashel the day before our departure from Cork.

I was hoping for some input on the below:

1. Should we spend two full days in Dublin (departing morning of 5/6) or spend 1-1 ½ days in Dublin (departing morning or evening of 5/5)

2. What should be our path once leaving Dublin? We would like to avoid driving long distances although once we arrive wherever we land by train post-Dublin we are open to renting a car from there

I am especially interested in natural beauty, music and history. I do not necessarily care about the more metropolitan areas, although I do want to experience what they have to offer if it is magnificent.

Does anyone have advice on how best to spend our time on this regrettably short trip?

Thank you very much in advance,

Joshua

Shelly from Joplin, Missouri

Dublin has so much to see so it will not be wasted...I would see Guinness Storehouse and Book of Celts.  I would definitely go to Killarney, I had a blast there and the country is beautiful....great scenery to and from and little towns.

1. Dublin (attraction)
  2. Guinness Storehouse (attraction)
  3. Killarney (city)

Hi Joshua,

There's so much to see and do in Dublin that you could spend a month here and still not see it all. We are lucky that our city has mountains and sea on its doorstep and is steeped in culture too. You'll probably want to visit Trinity College to see the Old Library and Books of Kells, Guinness Storehouse Famine Memorial Christ Church CathedralNational Museum of Ireland - Archaeology and National Gallery of Ireland

Ireland is quite a small country so driving distances are never vast - 4 hours will take you quite a way and mostly the roads are pretty good. As you have such a short time I recommend you base yourself in Dublin and maybe take a day trip to Wicklow to see Glendalough (there are tours) If you like walking there are some beautiful walks through the Wicklow mountains and it's only  an hour from Dublin. Another option (which I always recommend) is to take the DART (coastal train) from Dublin city (Tara Street or Pearse Street) to Howth or Greystones or, ideally both - taking lunch in one place and dinner in the other. Checkout Howth Head cliff walk or stop along the way to Greystones in Dalkey or Sandycove both nice villages, on the sea with lovely walks - Killiney Hill Park has amazing views of the whole of Dublin Bay. 

One of my favourite trips out of Dublin is to Galway Connemara and The Burren You could take in Cliffs of Moher by boat and drive through the Burren to Kinvara (spend a night there) and then a day in Galway City and drive to Connemara for another night. If you take this trip make sure to drive the Sky Road from Clifden

Alternatively Cork and West Cork are worth a visit, as is County Kerry Dingle and Kenmare (I think Killarney is overly touristy) Cashel and Kilkenny are also worth a few hours! 

Take a look at www.wildatlanticway.com or www.irelandsancienteast.com for ideas.

Depending on your budget there are lots of places to stay in AIRBNB or www.irelands-blue-book.ie 

Have a great trip and I hope you get some decent weather!

1. Dublin (attraction)
  2. Trinity College (attraction)
  3. Old Library (attraction)
  4. Guinness Storehouse (attraction)
  5. Famine Memorial (attraction)
  6. Christ Church Cathedral (attraction)
  7. National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology (attraction)
  8. National Gallery of Ireland (attraction)
  9. Ireland (attraction)
  10. Wicklow (city)
  11. Glendalough (city)
  12. Tara Street (attraction)
  13. Pearse Street (attraction)
  14. Howth (city)
  15. Greystones (attraction)
  16. Dalkey (attraction)
  17. Sandycove (attraction)
  18. Killiney Hill Park (attraction)
  19. Galway (city)
  20. Connemara (city)
  21. The Burren (attraction)
  22. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  23. Kinvara (city)
  24. Galway City (attraction)
  25. Sky Road (attraction)
  26. Clifden (city)
  27. Cork (city)
  28. County Kerry (attraction)
  29. Dingle (attraction)
  30. Kenmare (attraction)
  31. Cashel (attraction)
  32. Kilkenny (attraction)