Brandi
Calgary

Ireland

Best city/ town to go to in Ireland?

Ireland is on my bucket list of places to go , pretty much a dream destination . Going on a budget so clean , nice places to stay . Would like to do some touristy type of things , so any recommendations ?

Hi Brandi, 

All great suggestions from Sally! I would add Kilkenny to the list for the Castle and lovely town. If you want to experience the dramatic coastline of Ireland (and if you have the time) I would suggest doing all, or part of, the Wild Atlantic Way coastal route. It's really beautiful and, along the way you'll get to visit some of the most beautiful small towns on the South and West coasts, all the way up to County Donegal

Have a great holiday!

1. Kilkenny (city)
  2. County Donegal (metro area)

Sally from Los Angeles

Hi Brandi,

Not sure how much time you have but I'll give you a quick overview of places I saw and liked. 

Dublin is the largest city in Ireland, so it's definitely a must see. Temple Bar and O'Connell Street are great areas for pubs / shopping, and favorite attractions include Kilmainham Gaol (creepy/old prison about a hundred years old), the Guinness Storehouse (where they make Guinness + cool rooftop bar!), and St Patrick's Cathedral. The bridges in Dublin are iconic and it's really fun to walk around and see them. 

Cork - 2nd largest city and worth the visit to see the well known Blarney Castle (kiss the stone for the gift of gab!). There are a few smaller cities that I've been told are good daytrips including Adare and Cobh, but Cork is also a good point to continue your way west to the Connemara region. 

Galway City is really cute with lots of local shops, bars, music, and restaurants. Definitely eat at Ard Bia at Nimmos and McDonagh'sMcCambridge's Of Galway Ltd scoops Murphys Ice cream which is the best in Ireland. If you like tea, Cupan Tae is an adorable tea shop. The Claddagh region is great as well - there are lots of shops with the traditional ring, and it was developed in the Galway region. The Spanish Arch and The Docks are gorgeous to walk around on a sunny day.

Salthill is beautiful for a walk around the beach and to see the boats that are sometimes out and and about.

For day trips, I'd recommend the Aran Islands - there's a ferry that will take you there and they're great for a day trip! It's an Irish-speaking island that specializes in creating wool, and you should definitely rent a bike to see the whole island.

Another great place to see is Cliffs of Moher in County Clare. You can book a tour that will take you there and Connemara. Beautiful countryside.

Other must-sees on the West coast include Killarney and Dingle. If you can rent a car, it might be easier to get around between cities. I did a tour that took me between Killarney and Dingle, and if you have time - Killarney National Park!

In Northern Ireland: Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge (fun photo ops and you get to walk across a bridge!) and Giants Causeway (really amazing natural formed stones from volcanic rock - check out the pics) should not be missed. 

1. Dublin (city)
  2. Temple Bar (neighborhood)
  3. O'Connell Street (attraction)
  4. Kilmainham Gaol (attraction)
  5. Guinness Storehouse (attraction)
  6. St Patrick's Cathedral (attraction)
  7. Cork (city)
  8. Blarney Castle (attraction)
  9. Adare (city)
  10. Cobh (city)
  11. Cliffs of Moher (attraction)
  12. Killarney National Park (attraction)
  13. Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge (attraction)
  14. Giants Causeway (city)