Corey Partin

Corey from Minneapolis asked

Iowa: Haunted or interesting places along the way

In the summer of 2015 two of my girlfriends and I are taking a road trip throughout the Midwest and parts of the South.  Our trip is focused on haunted sites, but we want to see historic and interesting things along the way too.

We're starting in Villisca, Iowa, heading to Lawrence, Kansas, then to Jefferson City, MO, then to St. Louis, MO, then to Louisville, KY, then Indianapolis, IN, through Chicago, IL before ending back in Minneapolis, MN.

We're planning to see the Villisca Axe Murder House, Missouri State Penitentiary, the Gateway Arch, and Waverly Hills Sanatorium.

We have close to two weeks for the trip (already planned it out so we know we have plenty of time) and have a couple of empty days to fill.  We're pretty easy going so all suggestions are welcome whether they're about haunted sites or not!

Iowa Kansas City (Kansas) Lawrence Jefferson City St. Louis Louisville Indianapolis Chicago

• Dess Ro

Top Answer by Dess R. from Des Moines

Here in Des Moines we have a few. The major high schools all claim to be haunted, Lincoln High School being one I know the most about. the story goes that someone was once working in the auditorium, and saw someone jump from the upper balcony, at least thats what you hear at the highschool. the ghost is affectionately known as Clyde, but still feared. We also have Merle Hay Mall, a building in it called the Merle Hay Tower, is apparently the site of an old nunnery where some of the nuns became pregnant and were forced to abort them. supposedly there is the ghost of a nun crying carrying her baby. do with it what you will!

• Glenda Gilmore

Glenda G. from Minneapolis answered

YES. The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is haunted. Many people died there during the TB epidemic. My brother did security there and saw many apparitions, which were also photo. This was once a home for elderly, I would visit there with my church. This place is known for a little girl ghost. This is one of the most haunted and has been on TV.

• stephanie wacaser

stephanie w. from Nixa answered

Sounds like an exciting trip. I always enjoyed the The Lemp Mansion http://www.lempmansion.com/ to me it has an interesting history and eerie feeling. Check it out and see what you think about adding it for a stop. Also while in St Louis have a Gus' Pretzels http://guspretzels.com/ supper yummy! Not sure if this is too weird but I had to visit the Glore Psychiatric Museum for school it was interesting and worth a stop I guess if you are in the neighborhood. http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mo-psychiatricmuseum.html. hope this helps :)

• Kierra Jackson

Kierra J. from Minneapolis answered

Definitely visit The Lemp Mansion in St. Louis! The city is pretty famous for its historic breweries and the Lemps were one of the first families here in that industry. A few of the family members committed suicide in the mansion in the early 20th century and a lot of paranormal investigations have been conducted to prove whether or not the place is haunted. The place is definitely creepy and they have a ton of activities and a restaurant that allow for opportunities to explore. Hope you have a fun trip!

• Gar Flack

Gar F. from Minneapolis answered

The old Central State hospital in Indianapolis is teeming with disillusioned and disgruntled lost spirits. N Irvington Ave on the Mid-East side has a ghost tour for its high-apparition house density.

• Cynthia Shepherd

Cynthia S. from Overland Park answered

You might check out Atchison on your way to Lawrence. It's suppose to be the most haunted city in KS. Have fun!