Rafael
Naples

Iowa City

What is there to visit in Iowa City?

Hello. I will plan a trip next year for I and my girlfriend to cross the U.S. in a car. I want to know should we go to Iowa City? I never hear of this place but it is just where we pass on our map to go from the city of Des Moines to Chicago. What is there to see in Iowa City?

Kip from Iowa City

The iconic places to go in Iowa City is Hamburg Inn No. 2 for breakfast after attending a night downtown on a Friday or Saturday night. We have a Friday Night concert series beginning in May and ends around September. A nice place to hang out and if you want to listen to bands there are places to go; The Mill has some great bands. Check out the Thursday copy of our local paper (google: Iowa City Press Citizen) for more information. If you want , send me an email I and I will do more research during the timeframe you will be in Iowa! Have a great trip. Ciao. Kip  

1. Hamburg Inn No. 2 (restaurant)
  2. The Mill (attraction)

Karm from Iowa City

Kelly O. nailed it. It is a typical college town. Ronald Reagan, George Bush and Obama have all eaten at a divey restaurant called Hamburg Inn No. 2. It's about two blocks from University of Iowa campus. It is a typical midwestern hometown joint. The food is almost okay. It is an institution. BlackStone Restaurant on Scott Boulevard has great food with sports on tv's. I would not venture downtown on weekend nights after 10 because it can be out of control. We have an incredible park right in the middle of town with wonderful trails. The trails around Lake MacBride and the Reservoir are lovely. But to tell you the truth, the best thing about Iowa City is it's a great place to raise kids. I would not consider it a destination that you would consider memorable

1. University of Iowa (attraction)
  2. Hamburg Inn No. 2 (restaurant)
  3. Lake MacBride (attraction)
  4. BlackStone Restaurant (restaurant)

Rachel from Fishers

Iowa City is a great college town.  University of Iowacampus is around the Old Capitol, with many cool little shops, bars, and restaurants.  there are concerts, Iowa Hawkeyes, breweries and a decent casino. 

1. Iowa City (city)
  2. University of Iowa (attraction)
  3. Old Capitol (attraction)

Kelly from Iowa

Iowa City is just that... a city in Iowa. There's not many attractions but it's a good place to stop if you just want a hotel. It has a pretty good mall :)It's a large university town and if you are in to college parties and the party atmospher, definatley don't want to pass it by. University of Iowa is ranked the number one party school in the nation so you won't be disappointed. Des Moines is the other large city in Iowa. If you are going towards the smaller town go for Decorah. They have really pretty bluffs.

1. Iowa City (city)
  2. Des Moines (city)
  3. Decorah (city)
  4. University of Iowa (attraction)

Darcy from Orlando

I am from a town near Iowa City, and I went to University of Iowa for college in Iowa City. The Iowa campus is beautiful. There are old buildings, and it is situated around a river. There isn't anything super exciting there, but if you go in October, the leaves are changing. There are legendary tailgates before football games on Saturday mornings. There is also an adorable orchard, Wilson's Orchard, a little bit away from campus. It is gorgeous. It is my absolute favorite thing to do when I go back to visit Iowa. If you want a good old Midwestern time, go pick some apples at Wilson's Orchard. Enjoy some freshly baked apple doughnuts or apple turnovers a la mode while taking in the orchard view!

1. University of Iowa (attraction)
  2. Wilson's Orchard (restaurant)

Danny from Columbus Junction, Iowa

I highly recommend it ! Being both a student at the University of Iowa and an Iowa City native I have learned that every opportunity to come visit should be fulfilled. Iowa City is a very open and exciting community filled with art, attractions, great night life, & filled with the nicest people in the Midwest. Stop by Short's Burger & Shine and take a stroll around the downtown area!

1. University of Iowa (attraction)
  2. Short's Burger & Shine (restaurant)

Joseph from Houston

Iowa City is home to the University of Iowa. The people are friendly and the campus provides a nice view. 

1. University of Iowa (attraction)