Anna-Fee
Freiburg im Breisgau

Indonesia

Best place for a 6 week voluntary service in Indonesia?

Hi there, 

I plan on going to Indonesia for 6 weeks next September and teach English at a school. It's organized by a student organization which offers many different voluntary projects all over the country. I don't know much about Indonesia, so I thought I might start my reasearch here with asking my most urgent questions. 

The country seems a bit fragmented to me due to all the islands, so I'm a bit lost with regards to where to stay. What would be a good town/area to live for 6 weeks? I will have time to do trips almost every weekend, so I definitely want to see as much as possible. I'm really into landscapes and hiking, but I'm also very much interested in culture, so I'd love to see some temples and other cultural sites.

Also, I'm still not 100% sure if I'm "brave" enough to do this. I'm 25 and travelled a lot so far, but I've always been to quite rich and politically calm countries (like New Zealand or Scandinavia). Does anyone know if some parts of Indonesia are safer (less crime, less diseases etc.) than others? Or has anyone been to Indonesia before and can allay my fears? 

I appreciate your help. 

Tracy from Singapore

Hi Anna,

I joined in the movement that we have here in Indonesa, #1Traveler1Book, where each of us (traveler) is adviced to bring at least one book to less developed places in Indonesia (especially eastern part of Indonesia).

I have done twice in Flores Island and one is Raja Ampat. When I visited one of the village in Saonek, I met a lady which volunteered herself to stay and help out the village. You may want to read more about her on my blogpost to be clearer. She welcomes anyone who wants to be volunteer in that village. Probably you may want to consider that. :)

And orh, Raja Ampat is a beautiful place. If you like to snorkel or to dive, it will be an awesome place. :)

1. Flores Island (city)
  2. Raja Ampat (attraction)
  3. Saonek (attraction)

Iwan from Indonesia

The most popular place in Indonesia is Bali. You can find a good landscape and a strong culture. Lombok nearby Bali and have very clear water for diving and snorkeling. You also can do hiking in Bali.

Yuan Elsa Lioni from Indonesia

Hi Anne, I'm Yuan Elsa Lioni F.W  from Indonesia. I live in a small village in Yogyakarta. Actually I'm happy to see this question about my country. Indonesia is a beautiful country and consists of many islands. 

About tourist destinations, there are so many of them you can find there. But the most popular of them is Bali You can start your travel from that place.

About Indonesia's safety, I think Indonesia is safe enough for foreign tourists like you. You can always reach out to me for more information through my my Facebook at Yuan Elsa L or my Twitter at iamjoean.

1. Yogyakarta (city)
  2. Bali (island)