Joana
Santo Tirso

Indonesia

October planning trip

Hi guys! I am planning a trip to indonesia in october/november. First question is about the weather in this time of the year. How much rain do i find? Next is about how long to stay. I want to go to sumatra essencially to spot the big mammals : tiger, elephant and orangutang. Any animal friendly pkace to see the three? I also wanto to go to java to do trekking to see mount bromo and the blue flame volcano. Then visit the temples of borobodur. Have some beach time and culture experience around bali, ubud and gili. Then go to flores, visit komodo np and maybe some more trekking and beach. Also want to do some memorable dive for a newbie padi open water diver. Recommendations about nice dives and beautifull forests/ natural sights? How long should i stay? And how much do i need to spend without flights? I am on budget. Don t mind for cheap places or even camping. Also i am not a party girl. Thanks a lot!!

Bridge from San Francisco

Sounds like you've got a grand adventure planned. I recently spent 4 weeks on Bali and Lombok. I think given the amount of distance that you'll want to cover, you'll need a good bit of time  - perhaps 2+ months. From what I understand, many of the animal adventures are multi-day, and remote. Additionally, Indonesia has 7,000+ islands, many of which are larger, and not simple to get in between them.

We spent 3 or 4 nights in Ubud , took 1/2 a day with the fast boat to get to Gili Air and stayed there for 3 or 4 nights as well. There was a bit of trekking, like Mount Batur in Ubud (1 day). From the Gilis, there are many live aboard sailing trips that go to Komodo Island in typically 3N/4D or 4D/5N. 

I recommend checking out a site like rome2rio to gauge how to get between locations and that will give you the best idea of how to navigate and plan in terms of time. 

1. Bali (island)
  2. Lombok (city)
  3. Indonesia (attraction)
  4. Ubud (attraction)
  5. Gili Air (attraction)
  6. Mount Batur (attraction)
  7. Komodo Island (attraction)