Candy
Singapore

Candy from Singapore asked

Good diving companies/places for beginners

Thinking of learning Scuba Diving at Philippines/Indonesia/Malaysia with my friend but we're clueless as to where are the better dive sites, or where to get the certs. One search for bali diving courses and there are plenty yet we don't know how to distinguish the better ones (our priority would be balancing budget and professionalism as we're still studying!) What are the good companies who teach diving for beginners value for money price?

Any advise is much appreciated! :)

Indonesia   Malaysia   Philippines

Jerry from United States

Once you have obtained your diving license, you have to check out Sipadan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sipadan

1. Sipadan (island)
Tienzai from Portland (Maine)
You may want to try Discover Scuba Dive Team in Kuala Lumpur.
One of the instructors is Jason.

Hope it helps.

Candy
Thanks Tienzai! KL didn't really cross my mind, but it's a fresh consideration :)

Tienzai
Hey Candy, the company recommended to you is based in Kuala Lumpur, but I think they usually hold training and course at some islands. I am sorry I do not know much in detail but I think you would get more information from the person mentioned above, who is a friend of mine. Anyway, all the best! :)

1. Kuala Lumpur (city)
Sérgio from Lisbon

Hello, have you searched for diving courses in  Gili Trawangan? I was there last April and it was a great place to dive and there are plenty of diving sites and many schools. From Bali you can reach  Gili Trawangan by boat in just an hour or so, and it is much less crowded and the beaches are fabulous.

We stayed in  Mango Dive and they were great when taking us to dive, also it is a cool place to stay.

Candy
Thanks for the suggestion! I came across Gili Islands too and it seems great over there. But my friends might be planning a graduation trip to Philippines so I was thinking of learning it over there altogether. Will look into Mango like you suggested! :) Btw, did you buy the boat tickets over there or is it cheaper to buy it online? Much thanks!

Sérgio
Hey, we bought the tickets online, but I think there is not much of a difference between prices and operators either online or in any operator around Bali, you just have to bargain.

Candy
Okay thank you very much! Will do so :)

1. Gili Trawangan (island)
  2. Gili Trawangan (island)
  3. Mango Dive (attraction)
Sarah from Global Gypsy

Try Wakatobi National Park the diving their is some of the best in the world! 

1. Wakatobi National Park (attraction)
Sarah from Global Gypsy

I just came back from Wakatobi the diving there is INSANE! Def check it out.

1. Wakatobi (attraction)
Melissa from Metro Manila

If you want to consider learning in the Philippines, Anilao Diving and Resorts is an excellent place to try. You can read more about it on http://scubatechphilippines.com/scuba-diving-anilao-batangas-philippines/ A friend who's a diving enthusiast suggested this site and hopefully you can get more detailed tips there.