ya
Singapore

Indonesia

Can't miss places in Sumatra for 2-4 days

I'm planning my next long weekend in Sumatra, and would love to hear what are the "you can't miss" places fellow travellers would recommend :) I can take anything but happy to avoid the too touristy places (or catch them off-peak hours)

Mathilde from Venice Beach

Hi Yael! You'll love Lake Toba for its tranquility, hippie style holiday, cheap motorbike rentals & people kindness on the surrounding villages.

A place that definitely sits in my heart is Bukit Lawang. Here also you'll need to fly to Medan's brand new airport. (both Toba & Bukit Lawang are about 4h driving from the airport). There you'll have the chance to meet orang utans, the "forest men". I went twice, on a 2 days-trekking each time, and it was simply amazing. If you wish to got there I am happy to recommend you the best guide ever! (see: http://www.trippy.com/question/What-are-those-moments-youve-met-someone-exceptional-on-your-travels/answer/53f79f26e4b0f95bc5ec65f5#answerItemView_53f79f26e4b0f95bc5ec65f5)

Otherwise, another remote but wonderful spot, is Cubadak Paradiso Village. It's really a pain to get there (no direct flight from Singapore, you'll have to go Singapore>Bintan & Bintan>Padang, then 4hours drive!) but it worth it so much. You'll really feel like you're somewhere at the end of the world! (see: http://www.trippy.com/question/Which-island-is-your-favorite-island/answer/540ebe66e4b0b32b3679d23c#answerItemView_540ebe66e4b0b32b3679d23c)

1. Lake Toba (attraction)
  2. Bukit Lawang (region)
  3. Cubadak Paradiso Village (hotel)

Emily from United Kingdom

If I could only spend one weekend in Sumatra I would do Bukit Lawang for the pure reason that you get to see orang-utans in the wild! There is hardly anywhere else in the world that you get to do that - and the best part is many of the orang-utans are released from previous captivity so they are semi-tame to humans. I had a baby climb down from the treetops and swing out to me to hold my hand! He had learnt from his mum that humans were nice and they ended up following us for our trek for a couple of miles. 

1. Bukit Lawang (region)