Jeffrey

Indonesia, Bali, Lombok

2 weeks in Indonesia with wife and daughter

Hi all, we are exploring a two week trip in April to Indonesia. My daughter is 7-years-old and is very adventurous. Snorkeling is a big must for all of use and my wife and I dive when we dont have the kido with us.

The problem we are having is deciding where to go. We are looking to go somewhere off the beaten path. We would love to go to multiple places (anywhere from 2 to all of them) but know getting around may not be real easy, especially in more remote areas. We really want to get a taste for the natural wonders of the country and experience the great food. There is a lot about Bali and Lombok which we could take or leave. We just really want to have a uniquely Indonesian experience and we dont mind getting away from those areas to find it.

Also we were hoping to hear about places to stay. We usually get an AirBnB but we know in places outside of the major touristy areas they are not as available. Any information about finding places to stay or suggestions of place to stay would help immensely.

And another thing, we would also be open to volunteer opportunities that we could all do for a few days. Does anyone have any experience doing this in Indonesia? It might help us decide areas to go.

Our budget is moderate, we are not looking for luxury but with a 7 year old we are not looking to sleep on hammocks on the beach. We are ok with sharing places to meet other travelers.

We are looking for any information about where to stay, food to eat, experiences to have, how to travel, islands to visit, etc... you get the idea, really any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Jeff

Claudia from New York City
I recommend a stopover in Yogyakarta and a day trip to Borobudur, the 9th century Mahayana Buddhist temple if you like cultural-historical immersions. We spent a month in Indonesia and Yogyakarta was one of the places we visited besides Jakarta (to visit family), Bandung and Bali.
We stayed 2 nights at Rumah Mertua Boutique Hotel. I highly recommend it if you're looking for an affordable, clean, homely, comfortable and locally run hotel. We arranged for the airport transfers prior to our arrival and booked all the tours with the hotel. There's an in-house restaurant that serves delicious Indonesian food. The hotel provides coffee and tea throughout the day. Breakfast is included with the room rate.
Besides visiting Borobudur, we visited the following: 
  • Taman Sari bath complex
  • Kraton of Yogyakarta
  • Prambanan Temple

1. Yogyakarta (city)
  2. Jakarta (city)
  3. Bandung (city)

Sarah Jessica
Hello Jeff. My husband and I have recently returned from our little romantic adventure. We have visited Ubud and we had a great time. The weather was sunny and we have really enjoyed our long walks, people are so friendly and we loved their traditional dance, arts & crafts. Beaches are amazing, and we fall in love with Ubud sunsets. Sooo romantic... <3 It was even more then we have expected since it was our dream for a long time. We have accommodated in Villa Griya Aditi  The advantage of it is that it's clean, lovely, homey and you don't need to sleep on the beach, just like you've said. :D But the beach could be a good idea for somebody. We've decided to have room, bathroom and breakfast. Somebody finds it cheap or "best buy" and somebody would say it's expensive. We would again choose this place because it has a soul. The design is relaxing, and that is what we needed. It has good wi-fi, and we certainly will agree that is very important. :D And they've picked us up at the airport, and it was for free. Breakfast was included (I'm not a morning person so I didn't want to think about breakfast while I'm on vacation). When you go there with your family you can always ask what are the places you must see and how to get there. People are wonderful and kind. You can even rent a bike and go cycling and visit rice fields. It's fun. Finally, it's paradise on Earth and I definitely want to recommend it to you all who want to catch the spirit of Bali.

1. Ubud (city)
  2. Villa Griya Aditi (hotel)