Morringhan
Sao Paulo

Indonesia, Bali, Jakarta

2- 3 weeks in Indonesia, suggestions on what to do?

Hi all!

I'm currently planning a trip to Indonesia in the summer, (between July and August) and I dont even know where to start so any advice would be great!

I'm pretty laid back and enjoy an adventure and seeing new things. I definitely want to got to temples and hikes but beaches are also a must.

I'm going with my bf who is more outdorsy than myself and for sure more athetlic. (surfing lessons, scuba diving... that kind of stuff).

I'm planning on sticking to around $2000 (each including flights from London) so any hacks and tricks to saving money is a plus as we're on student budgets. 

Christina from New York City

As others have answered, definitely visit Bali and stay away from Kuta. One can take a side trip from Bali to Lombok by ferry ( cheaper) or plane (30 min). In Lombok, you can spend a day island hopping the Gilis. Spend a night or two in Gili Trawangan. If you are entering Indonesia thru Jakarta, there is a train that can take you to Special District of Yogyakarta to see the Borobudur Temple, best seen either at sunrise or sunset. I would only spend 2 days in Yogya. From Jakarta, one can head to West Java to surf (best for experts) in Cimaja, interesting rugged beaches. If interested in highland culture and mountains, go to Sumatra to visit Lake Toba and the coast but the logistics in traveling in this island alone can take a week or more of your vacation time. Otherwise consider spending the remaining weeks in Bali & Lombok where you can hike up a mountain, surf, white water rafting, eat an awesome cuisine and absorb the culture.

1. Bali (island)
  2. Kuta (neighborhood)
  3. Lombok (city)
  4. Gili Trawangan (island)
  5. Special District of Yogyakarta (state)
  6. Borobudur Temple (attraction)
  7. West Java (state)
  8. Cimaja (region)
  9. Sumatra (attraction)
  10. Lake Toba (attraction)

Dimitri from Leeds

hello!

the easiest place to recommend is Bali, you can easily spend a week there. I'd advise against staying around Kuta area as it can get quite crowded, head a bit further north to Seminyak

Temples are plentiful in Bali, check out Pura Ulun Danu Beratan and Pura Besakih. For beaches, head out to Uluwatu and around the southern Bali peninsula for good waves. From personal experience I'd recommend diving around Menjangan Island. Also check out the rice terraces in the art village of Ubud

After a week in Bali, consider crossing to the Gili Trawangan, 2-4 days maybe, hop around the 3 Gili Islands and go diving. After that head to the main island and fly to Labuan Bajo, and make it your base for exploring the surrounding islands, take a 2-day boat trip and trek Komodoand Rinca to see the Komodo dragons. Check out white-sand beach of Kanawa Island then head back to Labuan Bajo. Oh I forgot to mention, don't miss the underwater beauty of Labuan Bajo and its surroundings!

Then head deep into the Island and find your way to dagang twak we rebo, stay there for 2-3 days and then back to Labuan Bajo to catch your flight home (or maybe go somewhere else? )

Trust me when I say that even a year is not enough to discover this archipelago I call home :)

Hopefully this help!

1. Kuta (neighborhood)
  2. Seminyak (city)
  3. Bali (island)
  4. Pura Ulun Danu Beratan (attraction)
  5. Pura Besakih (attraction)
  6. Uluwatu (attraction)
  7. Menjangan Island (island)
  8. Ubud (city)
  9. Gili Trawangan (island)
  10. Labuan Bajo (region)
  11. Komodo (island)
  12. Rinca (attraction)
  13. dagang twak we rebo (attraction)

Patrick from Los Angeles

Awesome answer by Dimitri Wirjowerdojo.

To add to your list, there are other places west to Bali for you to consider too:

Yogyakarta:
- there the yogyakarta palace you can visit
Borobudur TemplePrambanan Temple
- and the famous malioboro street in Yogyakarta

Pangandaran beach

Toraja in South Sulawesi

Dimitri is definitely correct that a year is not enough to discover Indonesia. May be best to narrow down to what islands / cities you want to visit during those 2-3 weeks. However, you definitely can't go wrong with Bali and Dimitri's suggestions.

1. Yogyakarta (city)
  2. Borobudur Temple (attraction)
  3. Prambanan Temple (attraction)
  4. Pangandaran (city)
  5. South Sulawesi (state)
  6. Bali (island)

Suzanne from Breda

I can imagine! I could travel in Indonesia for the rest of my life. It's that diverse and big! For this trip I recommend you to go to Bali & Flores Island. Bali for the temples. Flores for the adventure stuff! Especially Flores is one of a kind. I wrote some adventure reports on this a-ma-zing island Check it out! Let me know if you go:). 

Photo from Instagram

1. Bali (island)
  2. Flores Island (city)

Roderick from Jakarta, Indonesia

The Gili Islands - and I would recommend Gili Air - have many budget accommodations, and offer much in the way of great beach life - diving, stand up paddle boarding, snorkeling, surfing etc. They are a set of islands off of Lombok, where Indonesia's second highest volcano is - which is a great and challenging climb with gorgeous views of it's crater and the baby volcano inside.  Combining a hike with some extended relation in the Gilis would be a vacation well spent, without too much fuss in traveling across the archipelago.  For a sweet 3 day escape, you could consider visiting Kanawa island near Flores Island.  Flores would also be an excellent destination. Enjoy! 

1. Gili Islands (region)
  2. Lombok (city)
  3. Kanawa (city)
  4. Flores Island (city)

Nam from Bangkok

Just back from Indonesia, I spent 9 nights 10 days there.

For 2-3 weeks, better to explore 2-3 islands. More you move you have to pay for transportation.

Bali

Bali is great for cultural tourism, Hinduism and local art are superb. For adventurous travel, there are surfing lessons at Kuta where crowded but good for surfing and budget stay. I stayed at Seminyakwhich less-crowded, just 4km away from Kuta. Rent a motocycle for 60,000IDR a day plus 20,000IDR for petrol, you can visit many beaches from Jimbaran to Seminyakand more. Cheap and convenient.

Java

Yogyakarta on Java mainland is another spot you should not miss, apart from great historic sites as Borobudur and Prambanan Temple. You can have trekking to Mt Merapi or cycling to villages or visiting Mount Bromoon East Java. Book day trip tours at tour desk in town.

Lombok or Flores Island

Both 2 islands easy to access from Bali, I haven't been there but in the list for next time Indo visit. Lombokis beautiful and quite. Flores Island is fantastic and a gateway to visit Komodo dragons on Komodo National Park

1. Indonesia (country)
  2. Bali (island)
  3. Kuta (neighborhood)
  4. Seminyak (city)
  5. Jimbaran (attraction)
  6. Java (attraction)
  7. Yogyakarta (city)
  8. Borobudur (city)
  9. Prambanan Temple (attraction)
  10. Mt Merapi (attraction)
  11. Mount Bromo (attraction)
  12. East Java (state)
  13. Lombok (city)
  14. Flores Island (city)
  15. Komodo National Park (attraction)