Elizabeth
Atlanta

India, Tibet, Nepal

Traveling for 1 month (India, Nepal, and Tibet)- what to see, eat and do?

I'm planning to travel for one month December into the new year around India (and Nepal and Tibet if time allows). I'm a 30 year old female and would love to do this on the cheap side. Looking for any and all suggestions on places not to miss, travel, restaurants, sights, and any tips the would be helpful in planning. Thanks!

Katrina from South Australia

I've traveled twice to India and I will always recommend Rajasthan! It offers so much diversity between all of the different cities and the roads traveled in between are just as exciting. My three favorites you should consider are Jaisalmer (desert / amazing fort and maze of alleys to explore) Jodhpur (The old part of Jodhupr is mainly painted blue) and my favoruite is Udaipur (I refer to it as the Venice of Italy)!  Jodhupur is a wonderful city to get lost in, a great place for accidental photography and some lovely rooftop dining options! I recommend 'Shahi Guest House', located in the old city, I felt very safe and ask for the room that faces the fort if you can. It was ridiculously affordable too, approx $20US for the night. I would not recommend venturing on your own at night, the alleys are very dark and even though I was with my husband my heart was thumping a little faster than usual as there were large groups of men huddled around, completely social, but still be careful. Then there is Udaipur. Udaipur has captured my heart and I can't wait to return. The city is centered by the lakes, so many places to just perch yourself and watch the daily rituals of locals. Highly recommend staying at Jagat Niwas. Outside of Rajasthan I recommend 2-3 nights in Kerala or Goa for some relaxing. My preference is Goa with its beautiful Portuguese influence in its architecture, however Kerala does offer a more unique experience with its backwater tours. If you have spare $$ at the end of your trip, on your way to Udaipur is a beautiful place called 'Rawla Narlai' you shoudl check out, perhaps even for a pit stop. A few pics below which may inspire a little :-)

Jagat Niwas Palace Hotel, Udaipur, great place to stay on water with a beautiful rooftop area as well as a great in-house cafe with fantastic window benches overlooking the lake...

Architecture in Goa... 

A beautiful restaurant in Goa is 'Thalassa' in Little Vagator- when you feel like something different from Indian food! The views are very special and excellent ambiance!

Jaisalmer... 

Jaisalmer beneath us!Jodhpur

1. Rajasthan (region)
  2. Jaisalmer (city)
  3. Jodhpur (city)
  4. Udaipur (city)
  5. Kerala (state)
  6. Goa (city)
  7. Jagat Niwas Palace Hotel (hotel)

Pawan from Delhi

Well Elizabeth, December/January (Xmas & New year) are peak travelling period and normally trip costs goes higher due to higher accommodation prices. However that's on to you.

Regarding the itinerary, as you have a month you can think of covering northern India as it it will provide you a comfortable connection with Nepal. So i will suggest you:

Delhi- Bikaner- Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Bundi, Jaipur, Agra, Khajuraho- Varanasi- Kathmandu (in Nepal)- Pokhran- Chitwan and then fly to Tibet.

Obviously you cannot cover the whole India in one month, but it is good to keep few things for next trips. 

If you need any further Information/Suggestions regarding India tour, you can write to me on pawan@indusexplorers.com

1. Delhi (city)
  2. Bikaner (city)
  3. Jaisalmer (city)
  4. Jodhpur (city)
  5. Udaipur (city)
  6. Bundi (city)
  7. Jaipur (city)
  8. Agra (city)
  9. Khajuraho (city)
  10. Varanasi (city)
  11. Kathmandu (city)
  12. Pokhran (city)
  13. Chitwan (city)
  14. Tibet (country)

Chh from Kathmandu

Can not tell about India and Tibet. But if you visit Nepal, I would recommend you to complete the Annapurna Circuit trek. It's a life time experience. If you have time constraint, atleast visit Ghandruk. Perhaps, it is one of the beautiful villages in the world. (See pictures at https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=653&q=ghandruk&oq=ghandruk&gs_l=img.3..0l9j0i30.3305.4281.0.4581.8.7.0.1.1.0.101.519.6j1.7.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.8.519.7Mo3PB-lmWc)

1. Nepal (country)
  2. Ghandruk (city)

Jasmine from Amritsar

Well, there are many places in India, as didn't get time and money to visit Nepal and China. So, I have visited many places in India like Dalhousie, Mussoorie, Palampur, McLeod Ganj, and many more.

1. Nepal (country)
  2. China (country)
  3. Dalhousie (city)
  4. Mussoorie (city)
  5. Palampur (city)
  6. McLeod Ganj (attraction)

Sam from Lhasa

Here is a deal, traveling in Tibet in month of December is usually a low season and price tag would come a cheaper then summer month. Unfortunately, you have a escorted tour in Tibet. Which means you will have to book the tour with an travel agency and hire a guide and driver, and also your travel agency in Lhasa has to make Tibet travel permit for (entry permit). 

Usually there are a group tour you can join in. But in the month of December, I don't really think there is any groups. 

I would suggest you to stay in Lhasa for four days, three days escorted tour and one free day for self exploration. The I would suggest three days in Zedangzhen, where you will all the first building, village, and monastery of Tibet. The place is known as the source of Tibetan civilization. 

You could also visit GyangzeRikaze, and  Tingri for Mount Everest base camp. But I think, you could face road block if there is a heavy snow fall. 

The minimum tempurature would not go below -15 in the mid night. 

I am a Tibet tour operator. Please contact me if there is any further questions about Tibet part of your journey. 

Visit Itibettravel.com for more information. 

Or write to me at itibettravel at yahoo.com 

1. Lhasa (city)
  2. Zedangzhen (attraction)
  3. Tibet (country)
  4. Gyangze (attraction)
  5. Rikaze (city)
  6. Tingri (attraction)

Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

There are lots of places which you can visit during that time, first you can have a 15 days round trip in India and then you can head towards Nepal and Tibet. The rough route in India and Nepal Can be as follows:-

Delhi - Alsisar - Bikaner - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Ranakpur - Udaipur - Pushkar - Jaipur - Agra - Delhi

The above mentioned route can be done in 14-15 days, then you can take a flight upto Kathmandu where you can visit Kathmandu - Pokhara - Chitwan which will require another 6-7 days then you can spend rest of the days in Tibet. 

There are lots of places which you can visit. In India and Nepal Food and culture varies after every 300 Kms. So you will face or enjoy a lots of traditional food there. 

For tour programs you can also contact www.indijourneys.com 

1. Delhi (city)
  2. Alsisar (city)
  3. Bikaner (city)
  4. Jaisalmer (city)
  5. Jodhpur (city)
  6. Ranakpur (city)
  7. Udaipur (city)
  8. Pushkar (city)
  9. Jaipur (city)
  10. Agra (city)
  11. Kathmandu (city)
  12. Pokhara (city)
  13. Chitwan (city)
  14. India (country)