Wally

India

Travel within India, plane or train?

Hi, we are going to India and would like to know about getting from Delhi to Vadodara. Should we fly? Can we book tickets once we are there? If we train, is there anything we should know? I've heard about people getting bumped for not "confirming" in person the day before or getting stuck on wait lists.  

Also: we want a driver for overnight trips from Vadodara. We couldn't find any online. How should we go about this? Any suggestions? 

Thanks all!

Chris from France

Hi Wally, I don't know about flying in India, but I can highly recommend travelling on trains. In our experience they ran extremely smoothly, and we always had our cabin there waiting for us without ever needing to confirm the day before. You can check out our train experiences and advice here - http://www.travellingapples.com/2014/08/12/our-train-travel-experience-in-india

A word of warning, be careful of scammers outside train stations. If anyone tells you your train has been cancelled, don't believe them, it's a con. They just want you to get in a cab (where they get a cut) and buy a new ticket at a 'tourist office' (where they get a cut). You can read about how we almost got scammed here - http://www.travellingapples.com/2014/07/21/another-indian-scam.

Have fun...

1. India (country)

Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

I will suggest you to take flight on this route as the distance is much shorter.

Jaykant from Bharatpur

The option is taking of flight from Delhi to Vadodara is the best way to reach in time with comfort since most of trains are already booked in this season and runs delay due to intense fog in north india.

If you require any other travel related services you can check out my company Roam India (www.roam-india.com) the organisation has been sincerely doing fantastic trips in India for last couple of years.

If I can personally help you in making your travel memorable, please do not hesitate to ask me. 

Enjoy Traveling in India!

Thanks

1. Delhi (city)
  2. Vadodara (city)

Rohit from New Delhi, India

For travelling to Vadodara taking a flight is the most comfortable and fastest option. Plus flight ticket will be available. If you prefer a train the Mumbai Rajdhani Express and the August Kranti Express are the best but they are mostly over booked. You can check the availability at the railway booking website irctc.co.in, use the NRI quota and you might just get a confirmed ticket. You can use any other indian travel website like makemytrip.com, yatra.com for booking as well.

For cab and driver you can book one at takiforsure.com which is priced decently or use justdial.com to get a local service provider.

1. Vadodara (city)

Ankit

The Train is the convenient way. But to book train ticket you will have to create one account in IRCTC website. There are two ways to create a new account. Below is the article which explains the procedure of creating an account and booking a train ticket.

If you have Indian mobile number then refer:

IRCTC Registration in 7 Steps

If you are NRI then refer:

How to do IRCTC Registration For NRI or Foreigners

If you want to book Retiring Room also at railway station then refer:

IRCTC Retiring Room Booking – How to Book ?

If any issues let me know.

Somanta

In India, Train is the best way to travel as its connects all cites and even small towns all over India with low or affordable charges. Just book train tickets online and confirm by checking PNR Status, Also Indian Railways have many more plans, So my personal suggestion would be 'Train'.

Anshika

What ever you want to select but the selection is depend on the place you have go. if you select train for traveling you can reach at any place in india and its easy to book ticket by IRCTC Registration and book ticket online.