Sandy

Sandy from Los Angeles asked

First trip to India, tips for a solo female traveler?

Looking to travel to India by myself for a few weeks. I like exploring the village areas, meeting young locals (30s) and learning about their healing practices. Not interested in architecture or history related activities.

Best time to go?

What's considered a "great" price for roundtrip airfare from Los Angeles? tip on an airline?

Where to stay, hotel/hostel etc?

What areas to stay in?

Must see attractions/things to do?

Could I take Ayurveda classes? indian cooking class?

I'm very open to trying new things. Open to all suggestions. 

India

Pawan from Delhi

I assume you are not taking the help of any agency. So first you have to make up your mind regarding the area you want to explore as India is a big country and it is not possible to cover it even in a couple of months. As i understood, understanding local culture, ayurveda, yoga etc are of your interest. So i will suggest you:

Northern India- You can check the himalayan regions. Its good for solo female travelers too. There are many companies offering village walks which can be a good option for you. Its also in important region from the point of spirituality. You might get some knowledge about the local beliefs too. You can also go for some certificate  courses for yoga (traditional art of well being) in Rishikesh. There are many Ashram which provides these classes on a very humble price.

Western India- Rajasthan is good place and you will get enough opportunities of interaction with locals. But try to include some small towns i.e Mandawa, Bikaner, Bundi etc.  You can also add some places from Gujarat (another western state) like, rann of Kutch, Bhuj etc. At Bhuj, there are many option of visiting villages of different tribes.

South India- Coming on to South India, I ma not sure if you can see villages here. But its the best place for experiencing or learning Ayurveda. Kerala is the State of your subject. There are many ayurveda centers near the Kovalam area. a couple of them offer certificate courses too but they are of more then 2-3 months. If going to kerala than forget to include Alleppey (backwater area) and Madurai in your tour.

Cooking classes you can get anywhere in India. Its not big deal. 

Its better to stay in Hotels as hostel concept is not very much popular in India and you wont find them everywhere.

Unfortunately I don't have any idea about airfares but I hope the rest of the information will be of your use.

1. Rishikesh (city)
  2. Rajasthan (attraction)
  3. Mandawa (city)
  4. Bikaner (attraction)
  5. Bundi (city)
  6. Gujarat (attraction)
  7. Kutch (attraction)
  8. Bhuj (city)
  9. Kerala (state)
  10. Kovalam (city)
  11. Alleppey (city)
  12. Madurai (city)
Cheiro

Hello Ms. Sandy, Welcome to India, the one among the safest country for solo female travelers.Exploring the villages, knowing their culture, living, food varies from North to south and you get a chance to experience them.

We suggest to stay in apartments, rather than hostels ,where you remain independent of stay , also you may prefer home stay when exploring the villages, you get to interact with the family owners and interact with villagers as a member of the village.

There are also NGO's whom you could get introduced  for the services, village visits etc, this will save few money for the services rendered.

Cooking can be adopted as part of home stay, rather than spending additional amount.

We have beautiful villages from north to south and you can visit each states of India, as per your length of stay. 

Kerela Ayurveda is famous in south especially in Kerala, you can also be part of their learning classes, traditional dances.

Every place is beautiful and has its own charm , we can assist you for your travel needs in India.

As flight is considered, you need to land in Mumbai and price varies according to date of travel.

1. Kerela Ayurveda (attraction)
  2. Mumbai (city)
Siddharth from India

It is difficult to answer your question in one go as India a huge country. What I understand from your question is, you are focusing over Ayurveda. So, You can visit Rishikesh, Haridwar in the up north of India, or South part of India.

1. Rishikesh (city)
  2. Haridwar (city)
Brianna from Brooklyn

What time of year are you hoping to go and what is your budget? Anything is possible in India, cooking classes, Ayurveda, and culture galore. I'd love to help you.  

Sandy
Reasonable budget...but I'm not familiar with how much a trip to India should cost. I know airfare will be the most expensive part of it. This is not a luxury trip by any means.

1. India (attraction)